• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home router LAN ports all used, but I need another LAN port?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    speed (advertised speeds are 'up to', and you know how crap that usually turns out with broadband)
    Yes but that applies to all these things. Who thinks Gigabit Ethernet actually gives you 1Gb/s?

I originally bought homeplugs because my old 11Mb WiFi was flakey, and particularly with a client supplied laptop. But later I upgraded to 54G and it's worked flawlessly since, which surprised me because I assumed whatever interfered with 11Mb would have had the same effect on 54Mb. Perhaps it was just a better router.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Follow up question regarding these network switch type thingies. I have recently successfully used a couple of homeplug type network adapters (Slinglink ones to connect a Slinbox upstairs to the router downstairs over the home wiring). I'm impressed with the homeplug adpater and wish to attach a PC (currently wifi connected and a weak signal) as well as the Slingbox to the home plug's single ethernet socket using one of the network switches suggested earlier in the thread. Will it work like that? Thanks.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

If the slinglinks allow other network traffic besides slingbox then it should all work fine.

You could have:

router -> slinglink -> slinglink -> switch -> slingbox, PC, etc

If only the slingbox is required at the end of the slinglink, or the slinglink requires direct connection to slingbox, you could have the switch alongside the router to allow PC and other devices connected there, for a faster network connection than the slinglink may allow.

router -> switch -> slinglink -> slinglink -> slingbox
        router -> switch -> PC, etc
        Last edited by PAH; 27 August 2011, 11:09.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Thanks for your help. I have a PC linked to the Slinglink and I swap the cable when I want the Slingbox connected, so I know it works. Thanks for your help, I'll order a couple of those switches from Ebuyer now.

Comment

You'll probably only need one switch, unless you want one at each end of the network for flexibility.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              You'll probably only need one switch, unless you want one at each end of the network for flexibility.
              Cheers, yes, flexibility and adding a VOIP device is my thinking. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X