• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best way to dispose of old laptops ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    completely destroy the platters.
    I can never get to that bit... I dismantle then get the platters that are nice and shiny then I'll play with them or leave them hanging around. Eventually, I'll break them accidentally and seriously contemplate opening up another old drive.

Comment

There are plenty of commercial products that will do a secure deletion for you. The more you pay the better they get.
      Or just use DBAN which is free and US Dept of Defence approved.
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

UltraSentry
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
          Or just use DBAN which is free and US Dept of Defence approved.
          Thanks that looks like jsut the ticket
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

If you really, really, really, dont want someone getting your data then physical destruction is the only way. And just hitting it lots with hammer wont do it. Either pay for it to be done properly or dismantle it yourself and completely destroy the platters.
            Angle grinder

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Obviously you want to wipe the disc clean. Any reliable software to do this or do you need to take the hard disk out and break it into pieces with a hammer?
              I think you should donate it to some Africa charity, I sure they will clean the hard disk for you and your bank account as well.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Minigun.

It's the only sensible way.

AtW.
                Not quite a minigun but....

And
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                X