• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbies wants to understand how to host/create a basic website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies wants to understand how to host/create a basic website

H all,

I have a home network that consist of Synology Nas, Mac mini and 3 other laptops ... the 1st two are permanently switched on.
    I come from oracle database programing background so my networking skills do not go beyond setting up a home network.....
    I use BT infinity which is a 40Mbit connection but not s attic ip address

I bought a domain name from 123reg and have done nothing with it. ....

I am trying to get a feel of creating a basic sites that probably is using static pages

Can I create this website on my NAS?, could it use the domain i bought from 123reg?

please let me know any other steps/things that i have not taken into consideration as well

cheers

css_jay99

From my limited tech knowledge.

The "speed" of your infinity connection is irrelevant as that's the download speed YOU (might) get - if you want a site serving others, that'll depend on your upload speed.

You need a static(ish) IP address and a proper DNS server - but you can get cheap/free space somewhere and set up the domain you own to point there.

You can use IIS or similar to "practice" serving up web pages on your home network then upload them to your actual webspace, although if they are just plain pages without any clever scripting, you can preview them in a browser on the machine where you code 'em anyway.

Comment

What you need is a static IP. Some ISP's do provide a static IP as part of the package but it might cost more.

With a static IP, you can effectively host a website on a web server on your laptop. BUt it needs to be constantly on.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I really did not want to go with external hosting because the website traffic will only be me and just a way to further develop my knowledge of how it works and how I can use my database skills with the web. So this will teach me more about the whole infrastructure rather than relying on a hosting company.

I thought nowadays there was no need to use static IP's since there are ways of getting round that?..... some kinda domain name resolving process?

css_jay99

Comment

If it's just you using it for teaching purposes then why not just create web pages on your laptop and view them through your browser using your local address?
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

You don't necessarily need a static IP... just use a dynamic DNS service like dyndns.org, which repoints your url to your ip whenever it changes. You can even program this into most routers these days (I have it in my free router from O2)
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
              You don't necessarily need a static IP... just use a dynamic DNS service like dyndns.org, which repoints your url to your ip whenever it changes. You can even program this into most routers these days (I have it in my free router from O2)
              WHS.

I was successfully running a server using dyndns.org for a couple of years.

Where I live I can't get a fixed IP address unless I go for a business package and that simply costs too much.

But as chef said, there is nothing to stop you running a web site on one of your permanently on systems.

Your Mac Mini already has the capability of serving up simple web pages: System Preferences -> Sharing -> Web Sharing On, and when you click that box it will give you a site URL and one for your personal web page (the files for the latter are in the Sites folder of your user account).
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Your Synology will already be able to provide DDNS updates and web hosting. Look at the control panel.

Install Joomla on the synology, and you have a web site.

Lemon Squeezy.
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Its one of those things where people say can you do this, and you can think yes you can, but why would you bother?

Tsohost do brilliant hosting from £14.99 a year. Do you really want to open ports on your firewall to the internet at large to save such a small sum?

Comment

Ok these mac mini ideas and synology options are looking like what i need for now.

Will I be able to use the domain name i bought from 123reg on them?

css_jay99

Comment

Working...
                    X