• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Securing my company laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Chain it to a desk with one of these.
    Not very secure ... I used to open one of these with a screwdriver
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...SJ6_hoaZhe9jGg

I currently have W7 bitlocker secured on both my laptop disks. If you have TPM you'll need to manually change the registry settings to enable the on boot password annoyingly.

I have used Truecrypt in the past and it works great ... the only problem that I have found is unencrypting secondary drives (i.e. a disk that doesn't contain the OS) is not supported.

I also use a biometric scanner but that's only because i'm lazy
    Last edited by redgiant; 6 January 2012, 16:21.

Comment

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

Nuff Said
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Stick one of these on the case, and no-one will nick it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Since they are only designed to deter opportunistic thieves and not ones with wire cutters I see little point in using them, on a client site who has security in individual places in the building preventing the access of undesirables.
          Erm isn't that the exact point?

Secure client site deters people with wire cutters, but for the opportunistic thief who IS on site, it'll stop them.

Where else would they be designed to be used if not in an office environment? Maybe at home but then the type of thief that's get in there they more likely have something to cut with.

Every office I've ever worked in where I've had a laptop, Kensington locks have been compulsory.

Comment

Another vote for Truecrypt here. Does what it says on the tin, open source, and seems very efficient (no noticeable loss of performance after installing it).

For physical security, get a modern kensington lock but don't leave the laptop on display overnight. Ideally take it home, but failing that, lock it in a pedestal. Be warned that I've been at sites where laptops have been stolen from pedestals in the past.

Don't skimp on the kensington lock, the cheap ones are easy to open without a key:

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            Look at PGP Whole Disk Encryption. Far more secure than Bitlocker and better value for money. Only downside is that it's now owned by Symantec.
            Don't bother, just use Truecrypt.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              Another vote for Truecrypt here. Does what it says on the tin, open source, and seems very efficient (no noticeable loss of performance after installing it).

For physical security, get a modern kensington lock but don't leave the laptop on display overnight. Ideally take it home, but failing that, lock it in a pedestal. Be warned that I've been at sites where laptops have been stolen from pedestals in the past.

Don't skimp on the kensington lock, the cheap ones are easy to open without a key:

Good to see that Kensington locks get more secure as time goes on

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
                Good to see that Kensington locks get more secure as time goes on
                Apparently the toilet roll trick doesn't work on the most recent ones (unless you buy a cheap one off ebay i suppose)...
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Does anyone have thoughts on Fedora forbidden items: Truecrypt?

The TrueCrypt software is under a poor license, which is not only non-free, but has the potential to be actively dangerous to end users or distributors who agree to it, opening them to possible legal action even if they abide by all of the licensing terms, depending on the intent of the upstream copyright holder. Fedora continues to make efforts to try to work with the TrueCrypt upstream to fix all of the issues in their license so that it can be considered Free, but have not yet been successful.

Fedora Suggests: Avoid this software entirely.

tcplay is an independently developed TrueCrypt-compatible program under the BSD license. A tcplay package has been submitted for package review for possible future inclusion in Fedora.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

FWIW:

Lojack for Laptops

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Get a MacbookAir 11" and just keep it with you (in a manila envelope).
                      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
                      X