• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Securing my company laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Securing my company laptop

On latest gig I've been bringing in my "company" laptop into work and I am looking at ways to make it more secure, (ie - lost/stolen) I have been looking at Bitlocker but I don't have Windows 7 Ultimate (but I can upgrade for 125 notes, thanks M$!) and also Safehouses Explorer. Anyone using a Biometric fingerprint scanner? I would have to purchase an external device but I read here that a while back it was proved they can be spoofed using wax and modelling clay. . Fingers crossed they have improved since then.

Any further recommendations welcome.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Whats wrong with a password and why do you distrust your clients so much?
    Is there sensitive data on there?
    Are you more concerned about the contents or the physical device?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

One the network engineers I worked with at confused.com showed me how to get into a laptop that had a biometric fingerprint scanner using a jelly bear from a packet of haribo
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Whats wrong with a password and why do you distrust your clients so much?
        Is there sensitive data on there?
        Are you more concerned about the contents or the physical device?
        Obviously I have a strong password(s) but I am more concerned if it gets stolen as it normally stayed in the house (yes I could be burgled lose it that way) but now I am travelling with it, there's always the risk of damage, etc.

And yes I have removed all sensitive data on it, but you know, it's nice to be aware of anything that can make your laptop more secure, hence my OP. I was thinking along the lines of Bitlocker but without having to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.

qh

Comment

Nought wrong with being security conscious my friend, Truecrypt springs to mind
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            Obviously I have a strong password(s) but I am more concerned if it gets stolen as it normally stayed in the house (yes I could be burgled lose it that way) but now I am travelling with it, there's always the risk of damage, etc.

And yes I have removed all sensitive data on it, but you know, it's nice to be aware of anything that can make your laptop more secure, hence my OP. I was thinking along the lines of Bitlocker but without having to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.

qh
            Do you physically secure it to your desk when on a client site or in a hotel?

and if you are this concerned about the security of the harddrive then the upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate is only £95 from amazon
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Look at PGP Whole Disk Encryption. Far more secure than Bitlocker and better value for money. Only downside is that it's now owned by Symantec.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I did lock it to the desk but but irony was that a permy stole the kensington cable off the desk one morning.

However thanks for the amazon tip, forgot to check them.

qh

Comment

Chain it to a desk with one of these.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    I did lock it to the desk but but irony was that a permy stole the kensington cable off the desk one morning.
                    Since they are only designed to deter opportunistic thieves and not ones with wire cutters I see little point in using them, on a client site who has security in individual places in the building preventing the access of undesirables.

If you are leaving your laptop when you aren't on the client site then it should be locked in a secure cupboard/draw. Lots of clients expect you to do that with the stuff they provide also.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X