Securing my company laptop Securing my company laptop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20

Super poster

Default Securing my company laptop

On latest gig I've been bringing in my "company" laptop into work and I am looking at ways to make it more secure, (ie - lost/stolen) I have been looking at Bitlocker but I don't have Windows 7 Ultimate (but I can upgrade for 125 notes, thanks M$!) and also Safehouses Explorer. Anyone using a Biometric fingerprint scanner? I would have to purchase an external device but I read here that a while back it was proved they can be spoofed using wax and modelling clay. . Fingers crossed they have improved since then.

Any further recommendations welcome.

qh

Double Godlike!

Whats wrong with a password and why do you distrust your clients so much?
    Is there sensitive data on there?
    Are you more concerned about the contents or the physical device?
    Coffee's for closers

Super poster

One the network engineers I worked with at confused.com showed me how to get into a laptop that had a biometric fingerprint scanner using a jelly bear from a packet of haribo

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Whats wrong with a password and why do you distrust your clients so much?
    Is there sensitive data on there?
    Are you more concerned about the contents or the physical device?
    Obviously I have a strong password(s) but I am more concerned if it gets stolen as it normally stayed in the house (yes I could be burgled lose it that way) but now I am travelling with it, there's always the risk of damage, etc.

And yes I have removed all sensitive data on it, but you know, it's nice to be aware of anything that can make your laptop more secure, hence my OP. I was thinking along the lines of Bitlocker but without having to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.

qh

Super poster

Nought wrong with being security conscious my friend, Truecrypt springs to mind

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by quackhandle View Post
    Obviously I have a strong password(s) but I am more concerned if it gets stolen as it normally stayed in the house (yes I could be burgled lose it that way) but now I am travelling with it, there's always the risk of damage, etc.

And yes I have removed all sensitive data on it, but you know, it's nice to be aware of anything that can make your laptop more secure, hence my OP. I was thinking along the lines of Bitlocker but without having to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate.

qh
    Do you physically secure it to your desk when on a client site or in a hotel?

and if you are this concerned about the security of the harddrive then the upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate is only £95 from amazon
    Coffee's for closers

Super poster

Look at PGP Whole Disk Encryption. Far more secure than Bitlocker and better value for money. Only downside is that it's now owned by Symantec.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Super poster

I did lock it to the desk but but irony was that a permy stole the kensington cable off the desk one morning.

However thanks for the amazon tip, forgot to check them.

qh

Faqqed Off

Chain it to a desk with one of these.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by quackhandle View Post
    I did lock it to the desk but but irony was that a permy stole the kensington cable off the desk one morning.
    Since they are only designed to deter opportunistic thieves and not ones with wire cutters I see little point in using them, on a client site who has security in individual places in the building preventing the access of undesirables.

If you are leaving your laptop when you aren't on the client site then it should be locked in a secure cupboard/draw. Lots of clients expect you to do that with the stuff they provide also.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR