• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap tablet for reading technical PDF books?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Oh, I suppose so.
    You nearly had me going there.

It's a few inches too short. Ain't it always.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Just as I thought it was safe to go shopping I see that the Motorola Xoom is on offer at Dixons (£225 delivered using a 10% off discount code), and in store at PC World for £250 for those that don't like waiting around for delivery.

Pretty tempting bit of kit considering it seems to be superior to the iPad with a better screen (more resolution), expandability (microSD) and supports the latest Android, plus half the price.

Shame my local PC World is out of stock, though maybe that means it's safe to pop down for a play around on their display model and see how it looks reading ebooks without getting clobbered with an impulse buy.
      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Just as I thought it was safe to go shopping I see that the Motorola Xoom is on offer at Dixons (£225 delivered using a 10% off discount code), and in store at PC World for £250 for those that don't like waiting around for delivery.

Pretty tempting bit of kit considering it seems to be superior to the iPad with a better screen (more resolution), expandability (microSD) and supports the latest Android, plus half the price.
        Did you try reading a PDF though?

I tried using a tablet in HMV the other week to do a price compare for the same thing on their WiFi, but for some reason, the price comparison sites and Amazon were all blocked as "ecommerce" sites.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Did you try reading a PDF though?
          Not ventured down yet. As the Xoom has microSD (strangely absent from the Xoom 2) I should be able to take my own sample PDFs for playing with, assuming the unit comes with a reader out of the box.

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I tried using a tablet in HMV the other week to do a price compare for the same thing on their WiFi, but for some reason, the price comparison sites and Amazon were all blocked as "ecommerce" sites.

No surprise. They don't want people pricing up the competitors using their own stock.

If you were prepared, you'd have remoted into a server somewhere and surfed from there without the restrictions.
          Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Kindle Fire

I got one - very nice $199 plus tax.

Was restricted to US and no Anroid market.

Rooted and added gapps and market.

So far so good - very pleased.

Comment

Not really related to the OP but my mate's Sammy tablet broke (fellow contractor) so at dinnertime (12:00 - Southerner warning) we went a-wondering around Manchester City Centre looking at various tablets, and me being Apple through and through, I thought, well, iPad, but let's look around...

So I looked at all those tablets and it was a revelation, there is nothing to touch the iPad. All the others were fat, had toy town icons, slow dragging, stupid buttons everywhere, and generally looked shiit.

Get an iPad, really....

Comment

Let's just say that I've managed to read the entire Shon Harris's 5th Edition guide to the CISSP on my Transformer using Mantano reader, 3 times. If ever there was a book unsuitable for a tablet, that would be the one. Ipad is basically Iphone OS, scaled to fit the screen, nothing new there, Stek, are you sure you weren't looking at an AndyPad?

Comment

Not cheap but I've just got one of the new Transformer Primes. It's excellent for reading PDFs.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Vanilla View Post
                    Let's just say that I've managed to read the entire Shon Harris's 5th Edition guide to the CISSP on my Transformer using Mantano reader, 3 times. If ever there was a book unsuitable for a tablet, that would be the one. Ipad is basically Iphone OS, scaled to fit the screen, nothing new there, Stek, are you sure you weren't looking at an AndyPad?
                    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    Not cheap but I've just got one of the new Transformer Primes. It's excellent for reading PDFs.
                    BolshieBastard might be interested:
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...mer-prime.html
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Not really related to the OP but my mate's Sammy tablet broke (fellow contractor) so at dinnertime (12:00 - Southerner warning) we went a-wondering around Manchester City Centre looking at various tablets, and me being Apple through and through, I thought, well, iPad, but let's look around...

So I looked at all those tablets and it was a revelation, there is nothing to touch the iPad. All the others were fat, had toy town icons, slow dragging, stupid buttons everywhere, and generally looked shiit.

Get an iPad, really....

I dont normally agree the hype about Apple toys but with regards to Ipad there is no competition. Its in a class of its own. I just have to find an use for it and I will buy one.
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X