• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap tablet for reading technical PDF books?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I've now got an iPad 3 costing 400 notes.

The much improved screen resolution (2048x1536 in 9.7 inches) over the iPad2 and most other tablets was the clincher, along with how you can easily zoom in/out of PDFs so reading books/manuals is a much better experience than on the Kindle.

Also pleasantly surprised how good the batter life is. If just browsing the internet or reading books it lasts for days.

Not so keen on the restrictive way it handles files, having to use apps to access anything and each app operating in isolation so need another app to do any sharing. I can see how it helps improve security and lets Apple lock down access so you have to buy apps to get functionality, it's just a right faff loading it up with media compared to any other device that offers a normal filesystem approach.

Just a shame the capacitive touchscreen resolution hasn't been improved along with the 'retina' display. At native resolutions with it locked in portrait mode (my preferred mode of usage as I have good eyesight so like seeing more on a page than landscape allows ) some links are too small for normal fingers, and even the pointy sticks for the iPad look a bit chunky. Therefore easy to click the wrong links or need to zoom in for more accuracy.

So not perfect but a pretty good piece of kit.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I bought one of these, very pleased with it. Apparently similar hardware spec to earlier Apple device inc 9.7" screen; Android OS; storage expandable to 32G.

Comment

Working...
      X