• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Everyday is a school day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    WHS - just done that for my lunchbreak!
    After spending so long working for the Police where InfoSec is taken very seriously every time I leave my machine I lock the screen, even if its just to talk to someone else on the next desk.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      After spending so long working for the Police where InfoSec is taken very seriously every time I leave my machine I lock the screen, even if its just to talk to someone else on the next desk.
      The last bank I worked at had smart cards which you whipped out of the reader when you left your desk. That automatically locked the screen too. It was a good habit to get into, for even grabbing a coffee from 5 yards away could lead to getting involved with someone else's problem.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

hit the windows key and start typing for fast access to applications and search (although it won't be fast if you've disabled indexing!)
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          Windows M to minimise all windows
          Is that different to Windows D to take you to the desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            Is that different to Windows D to take you to the desktop?
            Pressing Windows D again restores them though and also close down any pop up boxes that Windows M doesn't
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Windows + N to create a new OneNote Side note
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Hey!

Thanks for that.

Didn't know about the Windoze + E or the Windoze + D shortcuts.

Came in handy during the PIC assembler fiasco on Friday.

Handout says "open Windoze Explorer" so naturally they all open IE.

Give me strength.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Alt-F4 is another good one
                My absolute favourite.
                Last edited by zeitghost; 15 June 2017, 15:24.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                  Handout says "open Windoze Explorer" so naturally they all open IE.

Give me strength.
                  Once they've opened it, tell them to type C: into the location bar and hit Enter. Hey presto! Explorer window

Comment

Windows Explorer is actually pretty good at browsing websites, files on your own that is.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Just found out (on Scott Hanselman's blog) that Windows 7 includes a "Boot to VHD" feature, allowing you to boot to a virtual drive but use all your hardware in the OS. Nice alternative to partitioning.

Shift-F10 is about my favourite general shortcut key - it brings up the context menu. Useful in loads of places.

Comment

Working...
                      X