• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple Laptop - Air vs Book Pro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be looking to get a Mac Book Air top end one (13" 256GB) and a Mac mini 2.5GHz 4GB one for 1.5k. From apple its quite expensive at £1,349.00 for Air and £699.00 for mac mini. Surely there are cheaper options?

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      I would be looking to get a Mac Book Air top end one (13" 256GB) and a Mac mini 2.5GHz 4GB one for 1.5k. From apple its quite expensive at £1,349.00 for Air and £699.00 for mac mini. Surely there are cheaper options?
      Its apple. Think about it for a second and then remember you've just hit the £2000 limit so you can claim the VAT back if you're on the flat rate scheme.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As JamJar mentioned, they're a bit cheaper at the airport but apart from that I think Apple fix the price. They're cheaper in the US if you're going to be there anyway but not enough to justify a trip for the sole purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Its apple. Think about it for a second and then remember you've just hit the £2000 limit so you can claim the VAT back if you're on the flat rate scheme.
          Ooh, excellent point. My Macbook Pro was going to be close to £2000 so I bumped the specs to push it over, then the VAT takes it back under £2000

Comment

Originally posted by Vandalay View Post
            What kind of activities do you plan to do on it? Main drawback of the Air is lack of a DVD drive and a smaller hard disc... but obviously you make this up in weight and size. But in terms of power, unless you're doing really heavy design work etc, an Air would be sufficient.

My Macbook has about a year or so left in it, I'll be looking to get an Air rather than a pro.
            The unofficial noise is that the pro will be the same format as the air when it gets its revision.

The the current Air will only run a single thunderbolt display while the Pro will run 2 or more. The 15" Pro is very portable however 1k is not going to get you a worthwhile spec.

Comment

Have a look at a refurb on the apple store. I bought my MBP as a refurb and don't regret it one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                Ooh, excellent point. My Macbook Pro was going to be close to £2000 so I bumped the specs to push it over, then the VAT takes it back under £2000
                So can you claim back the full 20% do say it was £2000 I can claim back £400?

Comment

Yes. As long as you are not planning to write the laptop off in a year.

Comment

Yep, if the VAT inclusive prices is over £2000 you can claim back the VAT.

So if it costs £1999.99 (inc VAT) then you pay £1999.99. If it costs £2000 (inc VAT) then you reclaim the VAT and it only costs £1600. It's a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                      Yep, if the VAT inclusive prices is over £2000 you can claim back the VAT.

So if it costs £1999.99 (inc VAT) then you pay £1999.99. If it costs £2000 (inc VAT) then you reclaim the VAT and it only costs £1600. It's a no brainer.
                      Nice one, top spec it is then!

Comment

Working...
                      X