• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Re-install Mac OSX without DVD drive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-install Mac OSX without DVD drive

I want to re-install the OS to give me a clean install on my 2008 MacBook; I have the 10.5 DVD it came with but the DVD drive has failed.

Is it possible to do this over a network either by sharing my PC's DVD drive, or copying the DVD onto the MacBook (or some other drive) first?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I want to re-install the OS to give me a clean install on my 2008 MacBook; I have the 10.5 DVD it came with but the DVD drive has failed.

Is it possible to do this over a network either by sharing my PC's DVD drive, or copying the DVD onto the MacBook (or some other drive) first?
    Is it possible to do it from a Bootable USB key?
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Can your system boot from USB drives? Getting a cheapo external DVD drive could be the answer.

I don't think Windows understands the OS X DVD format. Do you have linux available?
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Best way is this :

Make a Bootable Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Installer from a USB Flash Drive

Comment

I installed Lion on my wifes iMac with a USB key. Its around 6GB the image.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            Careful there. He's running 10.5 so he'd need an upgrade to 10.6 first. Furthermore, upgrading to Lion might break various apps and peripheral drivers. Lion dropped Rosetta, which provided support for PPC (non-Intel) apps.

Just one of various compatibiliy charts out there: Lion App Compatibility Table
            Last edited by Sysman; 26 March 2012, 09:46.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Careful there. He's running 10.5 so he'd need an upgrade to 10.6 first. Furthermore, upgrading to Lion might break various apps and peripheral drivers. Lion dropped Rosetta, which provided support for PPC (non-Intel) apps.

Just one of various compatibiliy charts out there: Lion App Compatibility Table
              If its a clean install you can just wipe the drive using the disk util on the boot disk prior to installing Lion, make sure you have backed up obviously. You can install Lion on a blank drive (if you meet the hardware reqs).

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                I don't think Windows understands the OS X DVD format. Do you have linux available?
                That blows... I can't even copy the DVD onto a USB drive because Windows can't see the files on the disc.

Regarding the 10.7 link - I'm scuppered there. I can't download 10.7 because I need the app-store, and the app-store is only available in 10.6. I can only upgrade to 10.6 by buying a physical disk - I could make it into a bootable USB stick but only if I had a Mac with which to do so!

Guess I'll have to take it into the MacStore, which I planned anyway for the hardware issues, but I have a lot of old work files and wanted to do a clean install before putting the machine into their hands.

Comment

That blows... I can't even copy the DVD onto a USB drive because Windows can't see the files on the disc.

Regarding the 10.7 link - I'm scuppered there. I can't download 10.7 because I need the app-store, and the app-store is only available in 10.6. I can only upgrade to 10.6 by buying a physical disk - I could make it into a bootable USB stick but only if I had a Mac with which to do so!

Guess I'll have to take it into the MacStore, which I planned anyway for the hardware issues, but I have a lot of old work files and wanted to do a clean install before putting the machine into their hands.
                  OSX has no product key or Activation so you can find a copy on the web then pay for it later.

Comment

I really hate it when piracy (however well intentioned) is the only easy solution

I'll think about that option, I could order a 10.6 DVD and then I've already paid for it before downloading. Anyone know what size USB drive I'd need?

Comment

Working...
                    X