• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 8 unleashed ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8 unleashed ...

... on the oldies.

Grabbed a copy of the RTM version off Technet. That Technet sub is looking a good decision so far, got W8, W7 ultimate, W2008R2, WHS2011, all for 100 quid.

Dad was moaning about his ageing XP PC being slow and full of crap so gave him my old core2duo, 2gb ram, and 60gb SSD kit and slapped on W8 for a laugh and to see what all the fuss is about. Installation was without incident and pretty fast.

First impression was that it's very quick starting up, though the SSD will have helped with that.

Second impression was the Metro UI is a bit of a gimmick on a PC though I can see its uses in presenting realtime info in one place, sort of like all the desktop gadgets you have in Vista/W7. Having to move the mouse to the corner to bring up various options is a bit unnecessary. So is not having a start button on the desktop to get into the control panel etc.

Third impression is that despite it being RTM there's still some issues that need fixing as my dad's usb printer isn't installing properly and there's no sign of a driver for W8 or even W7. It works ok on my W7 laptop just by plugging in the cable as expected, so definately a problem with W8 and how they've rewritten the USB stack to support USB 3. Looking at the currently limited info on the issue it looks like the only option (other than hoping an updated driver is released before W8 goes public in October) is to try a Vista driver.

So will see how my dad gets on being a guinea pig before deciding whether to upgrade my stuff so soon. There's lots of improvements over W7, from file explorer to virtualisation, so it is tempting, provided there aren't more gotchas lurking.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    That Technet sub is looking a good decision so far, got W8, W7 ultimate, W2008R2, WHS2011, all for 100 quid.
    100 quid!!! Then why the **** have I just shelled out £300 to renew my Action Pack

Do you get Visual Studio etc with that?

Comment

Windows 8 is a mess! Early Learning Centre interface bolted onto what is still basically Win NT - OS/2...

I'm going SCO Openserver....

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
        100 quid!!! Then why the **** have I just shelled out £300 to renew my Action Pack

Do you get Visual Studio etc with that?
        Previously Discussed here:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...tion-pack.html

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
          That thread doesn't say anything about how to get the 100 quid subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
            That thread doesn't say anything about how to get the 100 quid subscription.
            Here's how I got it for £100.21 + vat (vat reclaimed ):

http://forums.contractoruk.com/techn...-products.html

Annual renewal is normally under a ton too.

Doesn't include Visual Studio but I find the free express editions are good enough for playing around with at home.

[note to mod: insert smug smilie here please, ta]
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Comment

I must have installed it about the same time as you, so you've probably worked out the same things as I have by now, but anyway...

Having to move the mouse to the corner to bring up various options is a bit unnecessary. So is not having a start button on the desktop to get into the control panel etc.
                My favoured route to everything now is: press the window button, then start typing the name of the app you want, then press Enter when it's found it.

my dad's usb printer isn't installing properly and there's no sign of a driver for W8 or even W7.
                Same for me (HP officejet in my case). This worked for me: Control Panel | Devices and remove the printer; download the drivers & software for whatever the latest supported Windows version is (sounds like Vista in your case); and run the installer in the appropriate compatibility mode

Comment

I installed windows 8 and think it is a complete crock. I logged in using my LiveID which is still attached to an old email I no longer use and I cannot change it on their website as it keeps complaining about a technical fault. But besides this, it looks bleedin awful
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    Windows 8 is a mess! Early Learning Centre interface bolted onto what is still basically Win NT - OS/2...

Congratulations on being the only other person in the world who remembers it !!

I gave up my IBM OS/2 accreditation after Warp Server but before Warp 4 !!

Mid 90's OS/2 was a big money maker for techies !!
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X