• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Networking question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking question

OK, so i've fiddle with my network setup a little after finding a slow response due to using powerline adapters and my router as the DHCP server. I have a wifi extender in my office with a hub. In my office is my server, media server, 2 laptops etc. the bottle was that all traffic from around the house was going to the router all down a single powerline adapter.

So, i turned DHCP server off the router(ip 0.1), and turned it on at the Wifi extender (ip 0.25). Speeds are so much quicker around the house and 90% is local and wired to this box.

The question i have is: After making the changes, most devices picked up all setting and worked perfectly. 2 devices (Windows 7 laptops) didnt. They picked up an IP address fine, but the DNS, WINS and gateway where showing as 0.25, the new DHCP server. All others picked up the DNS etc as 0.1 hence why they worked fine. I've changed them manually and hardcoded the settings which has fixed everything. Is there a way to fix this and force it to be auto? i.e. via DHCP? Confused as to why several devices worked, but these didnt. is there a setting to flush?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Code:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    might be what you need
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sounds like your Windows 7 laptops worked, and everything else didn't. In time you may find the other devices stop working as they correctly refresh their settings via DHCP.

You need to configure your DHCP server to assign a different gateway/DNS/WINS server - i.e. the gateway, to its clients. In most setups, the DHCP server would assign itself for those things, but it doesn't have to be that way.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Why not make your server a DHCP server?

if Linux - use dnsmasq
        if Windows Server - install the DHCP role
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Sounds like your Windows 7 laptops worked, and everything else didn't. In time you may find the other devices stop working as they correctly refresh their settings via DHCP.

You need to configure your DHCP server to assign a different gateway/DNS/WINS server - i.e. the gateway, to its clients. In most setups, the DHCP server would assign itself for those things, but it doesn't have to be that way.
          Nope, Win 7 failed, Mac worked so did PS3. Although Droids are not connecting now... I've tried to set DNS on wifi extender to 0.1 but made no difference. Only hardcoding is working.

Might be time to look at the server DHCP option as all running local DHCP and not on router is soooo much quicker.

Comment

Networking question

Ipconfig /release

Ipconfig /renew

??

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
              Nope, Win 7 failed, Mac worked so did PS3. Although Droids are not connecting now... I've tried to set DNS on wifi extender to 0.1 but made no difference. Only hardcoding is working.

Might be time to look at the server DHCP option as all running local DHCP and not on router is soooo much quicker.
              How do you define "worked"? You mean the Mac and PS3 correctly used the DNS as assigned from the DHCP server? Because that's the opposite of what you said. Or do you mean they worked in the sense of still able to access the internet, which assuming your .1 is your internet gateway means they didn't work. Confused?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Ipconfig /release

Ipconfig /renew

??
                Something odd going on... Win 7 PC picking up DNS changes auto, Laptops arent. It is down to the DNS. If i set the DNS on the wifi extender to 0.1 (router) the Win pick this change up, but it solves nothing as it's not auto.

Comment

Working...
                X