• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

soldering irons - recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

soldering irons - recommendations

Can you get a 'good' one or is it just technique?

It could be worth giving Zeitghost a PM. If I remember correctly he very into soldering etc.
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

For electronics work a temperature controlled soldering station makes life a lot easier. Weller make decent ones IMO.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

+1 for Weller.

...and yeah technique is everything.

How to Solder : CuriousInventor Guides

Surface Mount Soldering 101 Video

Comment

and another + 1 for Weller

Temperature control is the main thing to look for, don't get a cheap general purpose soldering iron which doesn't have it.

I have a Weller WTCP 51 soldering station which I am very happy with.

You can get cheaper models than mine, but you can also get much more expensive models.

Comment

Re: soldering irons - recommendations

Just buy a new iron rather than trying to solder it, you're a contractor FFS...

Sent from my tweeting foot massager.
            B00med!

Comment

I have a cheap one from Maplins I think it was, the tip is important too.

Actually managed to fix some fractured joints in the light and fan switch in our cooker hood recently. Well chuffed, stopped the wife going on about getting a new one.

I'm a dev not a sparky.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                I have a cheap one from Maplins I think it was, the tip is important too.

Actually managed to fix some fractured joints in the light and fan switch in our cooker hood recently. Well chuffed, stopped the wife going on about getting a new one.

I'm a dev not a sparky.
                I have one too, an Antex, which is fine for electrical work, but I wouldn't let it near an electronic circuit.

Comment

I'm looking for a 145watt + solder iron - any recommendation?
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Weller TCP2 for me.

Been using them for the past 40 years.

Generally reliable & reassuringly expensive.

P.S. It rather depends on what you wish to solder of course, a Weller ain't much good for ball grid arrays.
                    I remember from 50 years ago when I first got interested in electronics - Mullard for your valves, Avo for your meter, and Weller for soldering.
                    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X