• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Development laptop - bang per buck

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Development laptop - bang per buck

Hi all,

Looking for another laptop for dev work. Mostly data mining/analysis services/predictive analytics stuff.

So memory and CPU number crunching power is the only thing I'm interested in.

Best I can find so far is this:

I7 Quad Core (Haswell) with 16GB DDR3

MSI CX61, CX61 2OD-011UK, MSI CX61 Haswell

£749 inc VAT

Anyone know of something more powerful for similar money?

That's cheap.

The other speed improvement is ssd rather than spinning disks but I'm sure you are aware of that.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

SSD can give massive performance benefits, plus better battery life

Comment

Do you need a haswell? I thought the main benefit over ivybridge was reduced power consumption rather than increased speed/power?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Do you need a haswell? I thought the main benefit over ivybridge was reduced power consumption rather than increased speed/power?
          WHS

Intel alternate between speed and power efficiency improvements
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Hi all,

Looking for another laptop for dev work. Mostly data mining/analysis services/predictive analytics stuff.

£749 inc VAT

Dell Factory Outlet

Dell outlet xps15-l521x

£574 + VAT for an i7 with 8GB DDR3
            upgrading the Ram will cost you about £100
            change the hard drive for an SSD whilst you're at it

You can also change the mSATA SSD for a larger capactity drive then operate them independently

Swap out the DVD drive for another SSD if you feel extra special

Has the added advantage of not looking like a cheap Chinese knock off

There have been complaints of over heating, personally I've not had any issue with it. Even extended even gaming sessions have been unimpaired by excess heat.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Hi all,

£749 inc VAT

Will check later for some deals, but one thing I would do is to buy the laptop with a strong CPU, but low RAM and HDD. If it saves you good £££'s, then you can always plug in latest ram + SSD at your own expense, which usually proves cheaper.
              I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

I am guessing that you want to develop on the go - in a train etc.
                Something I've been fiddling with - wanting more power is tiny PCs like this one:
                Gigabyte BRIX
                It can pack the latest DESKTOP Haswell i7 with much higher clockspeed than
                You only pay for the components you're after and not the battery, LCD screen etc...

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                  I am guessing that you want to develop on the go - in a train etc.
                  Something I've been fiddling with - wanting more power is tiny PCs like this one:
                  Gigabyte BRIX
                  It can pack the latest DESKTOP Haswell i7 with much higher clockspeed than
                  You only pay for the components you're after and not the battery, LCD screen etc...
                  Handy on the train. You just need to add the power supply, monitor, keyboard and mouse....
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
                    Will check later for some deals, but one thing I would do is to buy the laptop with a strong CPU, but low RAM and HDD. If it saves you good £££'s, then you can always plug in latest ram + SSD at your own expense, which usually proves cheaper.
                    Surely the priority is best in class none replaceable parts (so screen, cpu, gpu) and then buy the replaceable parts separately.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X