• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online learning resources

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    You need to look in detail. The Data Science course is 9 modules at $49 a time + $49 for the capstone project.

Compared to the open university its a bargain but its not $49.
    I'd missed that thanks
    $490 in total for DS
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Good SQL stuff

https://www.simple-talk.com/
      one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        You need to look in detail. The Data Science course is 9 modules at $49 a time + $49 for the capstone project.

Compared to the open university its a bargain but its not $49.
        Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        I'd missed that thanks
        $490 in total for DS
        You can elect to take the free versions of each module individually. You just have to hunt for the module title and then sign up for that, and then ignore the offers to sign up for the paid version.

You still get a certificate if you pass, though it's not one that's verified against your identity like the paid ones are

I've done a couple of modules of the Data Science one so far but I don't think I'll bother with the rest. The lecturers managed to wind me up somehow; it's hard to explain why but I didn't enjoy the courses.
        Last edited by Sysman; 26 August 2014, 15:15.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a course on Java programming, not for a beginner but not super-advanced either, if that's not too specific?

Preferably a UK based course as well...

Comment

Single posters need not apply...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

100% Effective

Anyone non-techies used these for training at all? Good/bad?

Lean and Six Sigma Online Training Courses | Process Improvement
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                I can recommend Pluralsight. They offer a monthly subscription that you can cancel anytime and the training videos are very good quality.

They have an ipad app that you can download the courses to (if your subscription is at a certain level).

+1

Comment

Sitepoint is pretty good for front end development stuff, videos and all Sitepoint books to download, about £70 for a year, but around this time of year (Black Friday and Christmas) they do deals. Just renewed for £30 for the year.

Also, Pocket Lint Pay What You Want is worth keeping an eye on. Just picked up a development bundle and JavaScript bundle on there for around £10 each

Comment

Originally posted by nelmo View Post
                    Can anyone recommend a course on Java programming, not for a beginner but not super-advanced either, if that's not too specific?

Preferably a UK based course as well...
                    Check out John Purcell at https://www.caveofprogramming.com/

The Java course is (last I looked) free on youtube. Early few episodes have not so good sound, but still fine.

I'm not convinced you'll get more out of an expensive proper course.

Comment

Someone just pointed out to me that Code School are having a 'free weekend'.
                      Anyone tried?

'a Pluralsight company' under their logo, having a subscription there should cover it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X