• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wifi Adapter Or Socket Adapter Choice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just going on a slightly different slant on this. Let's assume price is irrelevant here. Wouldn't it be more prudent to go for the nice little dongle that goes behind the TV instead of having dirty great white boxes plugged in all over the place. The Samsung dongle looks like a much tidier solution. Ama

Just for the record I have used TP Link mains things to boost the wireless in the office but not the wired ones.

The dongle is cheaper at Amazon and it gets good reviews.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-WIS1...ss+lan+adaptor

Am struggling to see the benefit of two white boxes with numerous points of failure over a simple plug in dongle.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The two white boxes can be used to network other things, which your dongle can't.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Or spend a bit more and get a TV with built in wifi.

Off topic but thing I noticed about all small TV's is how shocking the sound quality was, I bought a pair of Logitech USB powered PC speakers which are rated at only 2w and the difference was night and day.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          The two white boxes can be used to network other things, which your dongle can't.
          But then how does he use is TV? It's not worth buggering about switching network cables for the cost of another set for £30. If he does have other stuff to network then he needs to look at a more robust solution with another router or something then.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He did say his son has an xbox so TV, xbox and a wireless access point in his room could be handy... you know what teenage boys are like!
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Exactly. Most people have more than one thing in front of their TVs these days and if you go WiFi for everything you could be spending a lot on manufacturer specific dongles. Or if you buy a different TV you might not be able to use your Samsung one.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                I know it's not recommended but both of mine are on power bar extension leads, no problems at all.
                Yes, I know they do work on power bars because I tested them but I believe the bit rate may be lower and I'm not sure whether they are compatible with things like anti-surge protection and.or those self-switching-off ones etc.

The pass-thru ones are not much more expensive and worth considering IMHO.

Boo2

Comment

Thanks for responses everyone. I will try the wifi dongle this weekend due to ease of set up and if any issues will look at the pass-through option.

Comment

Working...
                  X