• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New smart phone recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Am I right in saying the N5 doesn't have any memory card support ?

Boo
    Yep the nexus phones and tablets have never supported a memory card.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think they are so much the same nowadays with most people not even scratching the surface of the power of these things it's all down to preference. I can't think of anyone that has bought one of the leading smartphones and wishes they had bought a different one. I think as long as you pick one that has the major features you need like a bigger screen or memory add on if you are going to cart 100's of movies around or something then you won't be disappointed with what you get. You are gonna tie yourself up in knots trying to compare them by specs etc. Go have a look at them and pick the one that catches your eye IMO.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Yep the nexus phones and tablets have never supported a memory card.
        They don't have a microSD card slot, if that's what you mean.

Nexus 5 supports OTG, whereas the Nexus 4 doesn't, so the N5 supports a memory card that way.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Depending on the size you want, but I have a 4G Samsung Note 3, 5.7 inch diagonal, Full HD, 32Gb, also added a 64Gb sd card.

Lovely phone, beautiful screen great for videos, lots of functionality. S-Pen is a bit of a gimic but useful sometimes.

4G limited locations depending on phone contract supplier
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Android Operating System - Prefer Samsung Galaxy

I've had three Galaxy's now. Tried 3/4 and the mini. Standard size is definitely better - easier to type. Better spec (not that I noticed!)

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
              Am I right in saying the N5 doesn't have any memory card support ?

Boo
              Is that an issue these days? I've had a 16gb N4 since launch and never come near to maxing out storage, google cloud services are very good IMO.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Is that an issue these days? I've had a 16gb N4 since launch and never come near to maxing out storage, google cloud services are very good IMO.
                I'd max out 32Gb just with my music so it wouldn't do for me. Connecting one via a lead doesn't do it for me either so I will have to drop the Nx from the list. Shame as they look like a really good deal otherwise...

Boo

Comment

Boo

I thought so too. Came from Galaxy S2 which has total of 48GB and I used all of it...

I now have all my music in the cloud and my Nexus 5 still has 25GB free.

If I need local copies of my music I just download a selection...
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                    Boo

I thought so too. Came from Galaxy S2 which has total of 48GB and I used all of it...

If I need local copies of my music I just download a selection...
                    I can live with everything in the cloud as I have truly unlimited data contract on my phone. Without that though I can see why you think you need storage..
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                      Originally posted by eek View Post
                      I can live with everything in the cloud as I have truly unlimited data contract on my phone. Without that though I can see why you think you need storage..
                      Call me paranoid but I don't use the cloud because I don't trust big companies not to use my data against me. And I prefer to listen to music knowing that the NSA are not logging my track-by-track listening habits. I just do...

Boo

Comment

Working...
                      X