• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cloud storage recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloud storage recommendations

I've finally convinced the wife to ditch the local servers in her office. She was especially convinced when the server fell over when both the hard disk and memory when sour. All the data was safe on the RAID and I've extracted it off the backup server and put it on a USB for her to use until I get the server going again.

I have looked at Office 365 - I have 250 licences with Action Pack subscription. Its seems pretty good. Although it uses Sharepoint which will take some getting used to. Definitely like the way it integrates with Office and explorer as it uses OneDrive.

She is a lawyer , runs her own "one-man-band" office. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for services similar to Office 365. That is Storage, E-Mail, Calendar all in one place and secure and stored in the EU.

Thanks in advance dudes.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Google

Not sure about storage location but I think they keep it within the EU
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

A NAS like Synology or QNAP, if you really want to keep ownership the data yourself and not on somebody's else servers (assuming the NSA haven't already installed a backdoor in these systems without the vendor knowing!).

They have apps for mail servers, web servers, etc.

EDIT: just re-read and realised you want to move away from local servers...ignore me!
      Last edited by captainham; 21 March 2014, 14:32.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
        A NAS like Synology or QNAP, if you really want to keep ownership the data yourself and not on somebody's else servers (assuming the NSA haven't already installed a backdoor in these systems without the vendor knowing!).

They have apps for mail servers, web servers, etc.
        erm ssh anyone?
        The standard root password is "synopass" (without the quotes). In the built in sshd the root password is mapped to root. Login with synopass and change the password using the command "passwd". Then it works again as one would expect. This seems to be a nice backdoor once you permit root login.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          erm ssh anyone?
          I'm no expert in these matters but surely the answer there is to not enable SSH in the first place? It's disabled by default on my new Synology I've recently bought.

Comment

After some deliberation (I'm a 'server guy', so it seemed natural to build my own infra) I went for O365 and I'm very very impressed. Went for Small Business Premium for me and the Mrs and the fetureset has been great. Like you say, OneDrive is lovely and you also get Sharepoint etc. The version control has saved my ass already!

I also use CrashPlan on the PC's, which ALSO backs up the same files. Super safe

Comment

Yeah Office 365 really is smart.

I only need to figure out the 'right' way to setup Sharepoint. At present she keeps a file folder for each client which is okay for a NAS because its not using any storage on her PC. But with OneDrive its mirroring the content. And she has hundreds of folders and thousands of files easily over 3Gig of content. If I just make a Document site than I exceed the OneDrive sync limit after only 1/2 her content.

I am thinking that I should create a subsite for every client and keeps their files in there. Then OneDrive can sync only the cases she is working on. Am I on the right track there?
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
              X