• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Survey - Next Steps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if you've covered it but might be worth covering average number of changes in location. There are probably a significant number of contractors out there that claim regardless of two year rule or treat it on a contract basis rather than location basis which masks the importance of the allowance to those that frequently change locations. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by sociopath View Post
      Not sure if you've covered it but might be worth covering average number of changes in location. There are probably a significant number of contractors out there that claim regardless of two year rule or treat it on a contract basis rather than location basis which masks the importance of the allowance to those that frequently change locations. Just a thought.
      I didn't really survey that. I asked the number of different client journeys made and whether they are roughly in the same direction or not but not specifics....

I really don't want to get in to a situation where people said yep I'm breaking the rules. Mainly because most people don't know the rules (HMRC's T&S employers guide is 70 pages long because of the nuances)...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        The survey is clearly self-selecting as all surveys are that ask for respondents to reply and yes that will be reflected in how the figures are described..

The important bit is to compare the figures with those from the last census http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census...d-to-work.html That has your typical IT worker having a commute of less than 10km (each way) with a national average of 15km each way..
        It wasn't a criticism, just an observation that a survey specifically about the T&S consultation and the effect on contractors will attract a different response than a general survey with questions on how far you travel.

Comment

Do you have any evidence to support this claim of tax evasion by a "significant number of contractors" ?

Comment

Figures please?

I only have met one contractor who didn't know the rules. He ended up in trouble for different reasons.

Other contractors where either told their accountants or bothered to read the first timers guides.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Figures please?

I only have met one contractor who didn't know the rules. He ended up in trouble for different reasons.

Other contractors where either told their accountants or bothered to read the first timers guides.
              Ive known three on the same gig. Two were late twenties lads who just didn't give a monkies. Company car, TV though the company the whole 9 yards and a lady who said they can come prove it so I'll carry in until they do. She was also looking into an extension with office space so was adamant company could pay as well. See the common theme here.
              Very contractor heavy client and was there awhile so got to know people well enough to admit it.

To say I've never met a contractor that does this isn't really a good indicator. I've never met a contractor well enough for them to admit their failings in their accounts properly is more like it.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCoconutDog View Post
                Do you have any evidence to support this claim of tax evasion by a "significant number of contractors" ?
                No evidence and never claimed. How many times in the forum does the t&s rule have to be spelled out. I've lost count on how many times NLUK has lost his patience explaining to folk and telling them to google it. It gets you thinking. Thought it might be a good idea to think from a Hector point of view and I would assume they think the worst. Apologies if it came out the wrong way. Thought it would be worth including in the case some figures as to how often locations change and the differences in the change of locations, multiple locations etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Figures please?

No figures. Just trying to think outside of the box. Not just within the members of this forum who I am sure have had the rules drilled into them by now. How often do you have to spell the rules out on this forum? What about those not part of the forum? Why do they ask the same question so often on the forum? Apologies for playing devils advocate but thought it may help with making the case being put forward stronger.

Comment

To say I've never met a contractor that does this isn't really a good indicator. [/QUOTE]

I agree. That's why I thought it may be a good idea to put some figures together as to how often locations change and the differences of the locations. And could the system be improved rather than removed?

Comment

Working...
                    X