• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting client involved

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting client involved

Going back to Kate Cotterell's advice when the discussion document was first published, she suggests (amongst other things)

2. Bring the document to the attention of your agencies and especially your clients who may be asked to “take on more of a role in ensuring that the right amount of employment taxes are paid” (as the discussion document states on page 8)

Revenue opens consultation to reform IR35 :: Contractor UK

Has anyone raised this with their client? How did you pitch it?

It might be good to get some responses to the discussion from clients. Will have a think over the weekend, but if anyone has done this, or has any ideas, let's share them.

Starter for 10. Feedback/suggestions gratefully received

Dear ClientBod

I don't know if you're aware of the intention to reform IR35 that was announced in the Summer budget? The government have produced a discussion document, and are inviting views from stakeholders. https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n_document.pdf

One of the main ideas for reform, is to pass the responsibility for determining whether IR35 should apply, and collecting taxes due, to the engager. (see p8 and 9). The IR35 legislation is very complex, and at present it is nigh on impossible to be 100% certain of one's status unless challenged and taken to tribunal. It seems to me that 'getting it wrong' is not a risk that many clients would be prepared to take, unless there were very clear guidelines on what constituted "in" or "out". If those guidelines existed, then it seems to me that there would be no need for the client to take that role at all.

I know you use the services of a lot of contractors, so I thought it may be something that ClientCo is interested in responding to. Responses have to be submitted by 30 September.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Regards
    teapot.

Comment

You also need a piece about expenses...

I'll try and get something on a webpage with timescales over the weekend (alongside a website)..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I've sent this, plus mention of T&S to client - feedback was encouraging (they thanked me and said they will look into it)

Comment

I added a couple of extras into mine:

Dear Mr Lumburgh,

I'm hoping that I've picked the right person to send this to - I'm fairly certain that it might be of interest to you.

I don't know if you're aware of the intention to reform IR35 that was announced in the Summer budget? The government have produced a discussion document, and are inviting views from stakeholders. See https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...n_document.pdf

One of the main ideas for reform is to pass the responsibility for determining whether IR35 should apply and collecting taxes due to the engager. (pp8-9). The IR35 legislation is very ambiguous, and at present it is nigh on impossible to be 100% certain of one's status unless challenged and taken to tribunal. I guess that 'getting it wrong' is not a risk that many clients would be prepared to take, unless there were very clear guidelines on what constituted "in" or "out". If those guidelines existed, then it seems to me that there would be no need for the client to take that role at all.

The added burden of assessing the IR35 status of each contractor, and also to get involved in the process of ensuring the correct tax is paid strikes me as something that clients will not want to do, will not be geared up to do, and certainly shouldn't be involved with. Clients engage a flexible resource for good reasons, and need to be able to do so as quickly and easily as possible, and this added red tape would be another regulatory overhead which is neither wanted nor needed by businesses.

There is an additional consultation running in parallel which is looking to remove the ability for contractors to charge valid travel and subsistence expenses, which will also have an impact on the contractor market in the UK. If implemented in the next Finance Bill as planned, it would mean that contractors would not be able to claim their costs against their business for travelling and staying near client sites where necessary. If this goes ahead, then I would expect the pool of available candidates to shrink dramatically, and also a dramatic increase in rates so that those that need to travel can pay for that out of their post tax income rather than as a valid business expense.

I know you use the services of a lot of contractors, so I thought it may be something that Initech is interested in responding to. Responses have to be submitted by 30 September.
          They weren't aware of the consultation but will look at the papers and consider a response, he says - so if we can get more multi-nationals to speak up as well then that would be great.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I added a couple of extras into mine:

They weren't aware of the consultation but will look at the papers and consider a response, he says - so if we can get more multi-nationals to speak up as well then that would be great.
            Did you add the new coversheet?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              No, is there a memo that I should have received about it?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                On the TPS reports? Didn't you get the email?

I'll just go right ahead and forward that email just so you know...

Comment

I think you have to have be very self-absorbed to think that clients will care enough to read and understand even a one-sentence explanation of what IR35 is.

If any legislation is passed that would potentially cause them to have to assess status they will simply introduce a rule that will rule out any relationships where they might have to do that. For example they could specify that they will only take "temps" who are paid PAYE by the agency or an umbrella. (Yes I know you are the next Accenture, and it's a complete co-incidence that you started thinking of yourself as self-employed/a business at the time IR35 was introduced, but to the client you were, are, and always will be just a "temp.")

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                    I think you have to have be very self-absorbed to think that clients will care enough to read and understand even a one-sentence explanation of what IR35 is.

If any legislation is passed that would potentially cause them to have to assess status they will simply introduce a rule that will rule out any relationships where they might have to do that. For example they could specify that they will only take "temps" who are paid PAYE by the agency or an umbrella. (Yes I know you are the next Accenture, and it's a complete co-incidence that you started thinking of yourself as self-employed/a business at the time IR35 was introduced, but to the client you were, are, and always will be just a "temp.")
                    My client relies heavily on contractors to deliver professional services to their clients (a different area to the one I'm in). They want to know about stuff that could affect the way they do this. Contractors are dealt with through their PS dept, not human remains, so there's at least a better than nil chance that they'll respond if they know about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X