• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of the road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am probably a heretic but......

When I was contractint it always sruck me as odd that expenses in travelling to my job were claimable. I didnt complain of course.

These were fundamentally different to expenses whilst on the job.

People wohld go on about how permies chose where to live, chose where to work etc. But the fact is so do contractors. They still choose to work the other end of the country sometime.

There is no reason for it to be any different. Contractor, permie or large consultancy should all be the same.

The expense of getting to/fom assignment/job to yield a fee/salary is fundamentally the same a thing for everybody, however their labour is charged.

I happen to believe i should be a chargeable expense for all to encourage mobility. But that is about as likely as me waking up pope.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      Forward to you contractors friends

https://www.ipse.co.uk/news/end-of-the-road
      How many links from there before it morphs into the FLC battlefield?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

The expense of getting to/fom assignment/job to yield a fee/salary is fundamentally the same a thing for everybody, however their labour is charged.
        That is not too much of a problem for me (more a PITA), it's the loss of overnight accommodation costs that really stings. Permies get those costs paid with no argument.

Comment

Originally posted by yakitoo View Post
          That is not too much of a problem for me (more a PITA), it's the loss of overnight accommodation costs that really stings. Permies get those costs paid with no argument.
          I need to dig up the figures but the average permie has a daily commute of 12 miles or so. The average contractor is nearer 80...

Yes there are flaws in those figures. I will leave HMRC to try and pick them up...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

(and I've now had those from every CC member who posts here except TF, MS and Coconut)

I feel quite hard done by with this accusation.

Cockwomble. There you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Didn't know you were a member as well. Hey ho...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I need to dig up the figures but the average permie has a daily commute of 12 miles or so. The average contractor is nearer 80...

Yes there are flaws in those figures. I will leave HMRC to try and pick them up...
                That sounds about right. Mine is usually > 80 (2 hours) each way so overnight stays are a requirement if I need to do the hours at each end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Comment

End of the road

That would be multiple leaders, various umbrella firms, 3 firms of contracting accountants (I haven't asked the others), various recruitment agencies and multiple other people (including unions and low pay campaigners)..

Given that all I wanted to do was get some figures and then pass those figures on for others to use, its slightly snowballed..

But given the cynical nature of most of the IPSE people I have had the misfortune to witness, who still believe that they are being attacked when we are really collateral damage I do believe I had to do something..

But if the best you lot can come up with is cheap jokes and insults (and I've now had those from every CC member who posts here except TF, MS and Coconut) you better hope that the document the CC members will first see on the 26th actually represents a coherent viewpoint. Ours will be on public view as we write it and we will listen to opinions...

Oh I note that the post has now been deleted. Too late mate I'm going to keep that here for posterity ...
                    Hang on, that was not an insult - not by a long way sir - I was encouraging people to join the eek party

Deleted what post ?
                    Last edited by tarbera; 28 August 2015, 10:46.

Comment

But if the best you lot can come up with is cheap jokes and insults (and I've now had those from every CC member who posts here except TF, MS and Coconut) you better hope that the document the CC members will first see on the 26th actually represents a coherent viewpoint. Ours will be on public view as we write it and we will listen to opinions...
                      To be fair, you've been known to have couple of digs at IPSE.

I think the purpose of the leaflet is to raise awareness amongst the majority of contractors who are probably blissfully unaware of the impending doom. That can only be a good thing, and IPSE have the resources and budget to do this. I don't care if people respond through IPSE, eek+chums or independently, but making them aware in the first place is half the battle, and a good spend of members' money IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X