• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Planning for the worst - Post April 2016 will company cars be better value?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning for the worst - Post April 2016 will company cars be better value?

Just doing some sums, and with the rise of ultra efficient cars which could potentially bring BIK down to as little as 5% for Hybrid/Electric cars could this be the most effective way of working away in the future?

Not sure if you can sleep in the back of some of the larger PHEV but that would help with hotels too
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

decent mileage range?? I was looking at Nissan note and BMW I3, and it's useless for motorway commuting.

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
      decent mileage range?? I was looking at Nissan note and BMW I3, and it's useless for motorway commuting.
      Take a look at the Vauxhall Ampera - petrol engine never powers the wheels, just acts as a generator for the batteries. It's one I'm considering in a couple of years.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
        I was thinking about Hybrids rather than pure EV, the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV still have a 500 mile range but 5% BIK, also the Merc E-Class as a possible

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Mate of mine has a PHEV as a company car. he's happy BIK is about 80 quid a month but the actual mileage is waaay different from advertised...

To be fair he says its been charged twice since he got it (9 months) and both of those were when it was back at the garage. the rest of the time its just ballast.

gets about 24 mpg out of it i think.

I've been batting the idea around for a while, given the changes coming next April etc. woudl it be favorable to:

take less of a divi say (3-400 a month less (cost of a private lease)
          lease a hybrid or EV via the ltd
          pay the BIK (circa 100 quid a month or less depending on model)

This would reduce the dividend you take and therefore the dividend tax you pay. Over all though its more cash out but is it less going to Hector?

can we bash out the sums and see what it looks like?
          Last edited by Bluespider; 2 November 2015, 10:51.
          If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
            Mate of mine has a PHEV as a company car. he's happy BIK is about 80 quid a month but the actual mileage is waaay different from advertised...

To be fair he says its been charged twice since he got it (9 months) and both of those were when it was back at the garage. the rest of the time its just ballast.

gets about 24 mpg out of it i think.

I've been batting the idea around for a while, given the changes coming next April etc. woudl it be favorable to:

take less of a divi say (3-400 a month less (cost of a private lease)
            lease a hybrid or EV via the ltd
            pay the BIK (circa 100 quid a month or less depending on model)

This would reduce the dividend you take and therefore the dividend tax you pay. Over all though its more cash out but is it less going to Hector?

can we bash out the sums and see what it looks like?
            I was also thinking with the saving on Corp Tax not having to take it as a dividend that is where the real saving would be

Comment

some of the EVs have zero BIK which would be ideal.

but even 70-100 quid a month, it may start balancing out and be favourable when taken into context with the divi tax and the loss of T&S?
              If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

A wholly EV like the Leaf will give you a range of about 100 miles. There's a new larger battery version just come out that ups that to around 150 miles with a 200+ mile version in development.

Hybrids are useless imho. The range on their batteries is about 20 miles. The idea behind them is for city stop start driving where a larger percentage of petrol is spent getting the car moving and up to 30 mph.

Its nonsense to say EV like Leaf and BMW I3 are no good for motorways. When Im not doing 85 - 90 on the M6, I regularly see I3's in particular doing 70.

When an I3 or similar can do a round trip of 200 miles, I'll buy one (if I went back to retirement mode, Id buy one tomorrow).

The Tesla just isnt an affordable option at £70k+. Besides, musk is a twat and Im not contributing to his wealth after the fiasco he created with Paypal.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
                  some of the EVs have zero BIK which would be ideal.
                  Not from this year (April) they dont. All EV's now attract a 5% BIK.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                  X