• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email to David Morris MP - Part 2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email to David Morris MP - Part 2

I replied to Mr Morris thusly:

I wanted to say how pleased I was that you were successful in your efforts with regard to the impact on business of the (rumoured) draconian changes to IR35.

However, there is still concern and much worry amongst IT contractors and freelancers that the can was just kicked down there road, as it were, pending an announcement on 9th December.

I presume that you will still take the same position with regard to SDC becoming a, rather pointless, "test" for intermediary legislation to apply to a "PSC"?

and received the following yesterday:

Thank you for your further email.

I have a meeting with a contractor body today on this same issue and I will be ensuring to raise it with Julie Dean when I meet with her before Christmas, as part of her self-employment review.

Kind Regards

David Morris MP
    Morecambe and Lunesdale
    House of Commons
    London
    SW1A 0AA

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
    I replied to Mr Morris thusly:

I wanted to say how pleased I was that you were successful in your efforts with regard to the impact on business of the (rumoured) draconian changes to IR35.

However, there is still concern and much worry amongst IT contractors and freelancers that the can was just kicked down there road, as it were, pending an announcement on 9th December.

I presume that you will still take the same position with regard to SDC becoming a, rather pointless, "test" for intermediary legislation to apply to a "PSC"?

and received the following yesterday:

Thank you for your further email.

I have a meeting with a contractor body today on this same issue and I will be ensuring to raise it with Julie Dean when I meet with her before Christmas, as part of her self-employment review.

Kind Regards

David Morris MP
    Morecambe and Lunesdale
    House of Commons
    London
    SW1A 0AA
    Wow, he's an awful lot more useful than my MP. If I wanted him to vote with the government on anything and not make any waves that would affect his career then he'd be all for it. Apart from that...

Comment

Originally posted by javadude View Post
      Wow, he's an awful lot more useful than my MP. If I wanted him to vote with the government on anything and not make any waves that would affect his career then he'd be all for it. Apart from that...
      He's not my MP, but he does seem to be onside, what that actually means is another matter...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
        He's not my MP, but he does seem to be onside, what that actually means is another matter...
        If you're not a constituent, that's pretty good of him. It's hard enough to get most MPs to reply to their constituents.

Comment

I got a reply today from mine....

Thank you for contacting me about limited company contractors.

I appreciate your concerns on the rumours regarding changes that would force contractors who worked for a company for more than one month onto the payroll, turning them into pay as you earn employees. As you may be aware, the Autumn Statement has now been delivered and no such plans have been announced. I am, however, advised that the Government will not comment on speculation ahead of the publication of the consultation into existing intermediaries legislation (IR35).

The Government has recently carried out a discussions with stakeholders on how to improve the effectiveness of the existing IR35 legislation, with the objective to find a solution that protects the Exchequer and improves fairness in the system without creating disproportionate burdens on business.

As confirmed at Summer Budget 2015, the Government will legislate to restrict tax relief for travel and subsistence expenses for workers engaged through an employment intermediary, such as an umbrella company or a personal service company. Following consultation, relief will be restricted for individuals working through personal service companies where the intermediaries legislation applies.

The Government recognises that many individuals choose to work through their own limited companies and appreciates the positive contribution to the economy of those who choose to work for themselves. However, the Government is committed to tackling tax avoidance and evasion at all levels to ensure everyone pays the right tax at the right time. Avoidance (and evasion) damages the effectiveness of the tax system and imposes additional costs on all taxpayers.

Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue.

Comment

Looks like the response has been cut and paste from the Treasury "justification" for "clarifying" IR35.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              Looks like the response has been cut and paste from the Treasury "justification" for "clarifying" IR35.
              They've all probably been told not to forward any more letters to the Treasury and answer it with these set of words.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X