• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Compliance company advising clients to label all contractors as 'supervised'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DallasDad View Post
    Define supervised?
    Am I supervised at client co site by being coerced into parking between two white lines...

does that count?
    No, that would be direction I should think. Unless the client is watching you on the CC camera.

Comment

Define supervised?
      Am I supervised at client co site by being coerced into parking between two white lines...

does that count?
      Steady, someone will be along soon to question how well cut out you are to be a contractor.

But it's ok, cos they will be a REAL contractor.

Comment

Define supervised?

does that count?
        If you're engaged as an independent parking attendant, then probably. If you are engaged as a business analyst, then it's unlikely that falls within HMRC's definition of "supervision" which (IIRC) they published last year.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          According to the article on today's home page, CXC Global (never heard of them before) are advising end clients to label contractors as 'supervised', or at least that's how it reads.

The article refers to an agency that appear to have advised clients to do the opposite. I assume because the client is suddenly wondering why they can't get the resource they need and don't want to pay more.

Now clearly, if a contractor should be supervised, then this should be reflected in the contract. However, equally, to suggest that all contractors should be supervised is as bad as suggesting none should be.

In an ideal world job ads etc would state up front whether or not supervision was applicable. Unlikely, for now at least.

Maybe Michelle Reilly would like to come on here and explain her position?
          This used to be a standard approach in respect of Agency Workers (umbrella employees and Ltd Co Contractors who had Opted In (EAA Regs)). If I recall correctly (it's been a while), there is a regulation in the AWR about supervision (though not Direction & Control). I suspect CXC's position arises from the AWR, but a blanket statement purporting the cover all Contractors (including those who are not Agency Workers for the purposes of AWR) is not helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X