• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Compliance company advising clients to label all contractors as 'supervised'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compliance company advising clients to label all contractors as 'supervised'

According to the article on today's home page, CXC Global (never heard of them before) are advising end clients to label contractors as 'supervised', or at least that's how it reads.

The article refers to an agency that appear to have advised clients to do the opposite. I assume because the client is suddenly wondering why they can't get the resource they need and don't want to pay more.

Now clearly, if a contractor should be supervised, then this should be reflected in the contract. However, equally, to suggest that all contractors should be supervised is as bad as suggesting none should be.

In an ideal world job ads etc would state up front whether or not supervision was applicable. Unlikely, for now at least.

Maybe Michelle Reilly would like to come on here and explain her position?

We need to know what 'supervised' really means. Until it is cast in stone every single party is going to take it differently.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      We need to know what 'supervised' really means. Until it is cast in stone every single party is going to take it differently.
      And that will probably require a court case.

It would be interesting to know why the agency was acting as it did.

It would equally be useful to know why the compliance lot think everyone should be labelled as 'supervised'. The way the article reads it appears no more than an arse covering exercise.

Comment

Maybe CXC Global are a company desperate for publicity and so create a false story in the hope that people search for them or talk about them.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Maybe CXC Global are a company desperate for publicity and so create a false story in the hope that people search for them or talk about them.
          Hmmm, I thought CXC were pretty reputable, perhaps overly cautious.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Do they operate a brolly structure in the UK

All required insurances – You won’t be left desiring any further cover with our solutions; our comprehensive insurance scheme will allow you to put your mind at ease.
            International compliance structure – Regardless of where the work is taking place, we will ensure that you remain fully compliant the moment your contract begins.
            Timesheet processing and invoicing – Just provide us with your time-sheets and we’ll do the rest, leaving you to concentrate on more important matters.
            Fast and accurate payments – Payments are processed as quickly as possible. With CXC Global, you won’t be left waiting for your pay.

In-country support from experienced representatives – From banking information to local legislature, our experts will fill you in on everything you need to know.
            Highly experienced team – Regardless of any queries, requests or concerns you may have, our team boast the experience to be able to deal with them – no sweat.
            If so, there's your reason. It's part of the "all contractors are like brolly contractors" drum they're currently banging.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Do they operate a brolly structure in the UK

If so, there's your reason. It's part of the "all contractors are like brolly contractors" drum they're currently banging.
              Good spot.

So brolly company uses compliance hat to suggest that all contractors should be labelled as under supervision, presumably so that they don't lose business to other brollies who have agreed non supervision with clients.

If they had said supervision should be agreed on a case by case basis that would have been sensible, but instead just another self interested bleat

I wonder if contractoruk would let us put out a release stating that contractors should only work through brollies that can agree non supervision clauses with end clients?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post

I wonder if contractoruk would let us put out a release stating that contractors should only work through brollies that can agree non supervision clauses with end clients?
                Probably not because some gigs are inside IR35. If the client just wants a temp then that is what they get.

What the article from CXC is trying to do is muddy the water between Ltd contractors outside IR35 who can continue to claim travel expenses and Brolly contractors who cannot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Probably not because some gigs are inside IR35. If the client just wants a temp then that is what they get.

What the article from CXC is trying to do is muddy the water between Ltd contractors outside IR35 who can continue to claim travel expenses and Brolly contractors who cannot.
                  Reading it I think it is also trying to say that through a brolly you must be under supervision whereas the un-named agency seems to have agreed with a client that supervision doesn't apply. If everyone in the brolly chain agrees then expenses can still be claimed.

Comment

Define supervised?
                    Am I supervised at client co site by being coerced into parking between two white lines...

does that count?
                    Last edited by DallasDad; 27 April 2016, 18:46. Reason: got I am and Am I arse about face
                    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Working...
                    X