• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public sector IR35 consultation launched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
    It won't inadvertently catch people who are outside - HMRC have been very clear about that, and why wouldn't you trust their word on it?
    No. I think our fear is that they will explicitly pick a few outside and try and make cases out of them. Which is why anyone sensible is going to run a mile from the public sector for a while...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm sure I'm not going soft, but I can't help agreeing with eek on this one.

In spite of the mountain of experience I have working in the public sector, I'd have to think twice before working there again.
      Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
      http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        No. I think our fear is that they will explicitly pick a few outside and try and make cases out of them. Which is why anyone sensible is going to run a mile from the public sector for a while...
        Originally posted by flamel View Post
        I'm sure I'm not going soft, but I can't help agreeing with eek on this one.

In spite of the mountain of experience I have working in the public sector, I'd have to think twice before working there again.
        Same here, although I've been a fan of public sector work in the past. Have now bailed out back into the private sector for as Client A. Client B still pubic sector but will see what pans out with that, it's part time and 100% WFH with very little interaction with the client.

Rate isn't as good on this one but it gets a private sector gig back at the top of the CV ready for the next one should the need arise. Will observe developments form the sidelines for now.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Same here, although I've been a fan of public sector work in the past. Have now bailed out back into the private sector for as Client A. Client B still pubic sector but will see what pans out with that, it's part time and 100% WFH with very little interaction with the client.

Rate isn't as good on this one but it gets a private sector gig back at the top of the CV ready for the next one should the need arise. Will observe developments form the sidelines for now.
          I was pleasantly surprised with my public sector gig and managed to wangle myself where I could have been here for quite awhile to come so very dissapointed with all this carry on. I've got some possible options but now they've just changed the procurement methods and clamped down on G Cloud it's gonna be tough to nail.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

IPSE are keen to speak with contractors who currently, or regularly undertake public sector contracts to compile case studies that can be deployed in the media. We are looking for information on the extent to which a change in rules would make contractors avoid public sector work.

Ideally we are looking for people willing to go "on the record" and be comfortable with their name and photograph appearing in print. These case studies will also be used to support IPSE's response to the Government consultation. You can reach us at [email protected]

James Gribben
            Head of Press & PR

Comment

I'm working in PS at the moment and have gone through the QDos contract review process and been told I passed. The organisation accepted this and gave me a pass letter. However, we've been informed that revised governance arrangements have come through and all contractors will have to provide 'additional information' by the end of the month or we're out. Don't know what this information is going to be yet. Has anyone else had notice of something along these lines or been told that a QDos contract review is insufficient?

Comment

Originally posted by westtester View Post
                I'm working in PS at the moment and have gone through the QDos contract review process and been told I passed. The organisation accepted this and gave me a pass letter. However, we've been informed that revised governance arrangements have come through and all contractors will have to provide 'additional information' by the end of the month or we're out. Don't know what this information is going to be yet. Has anyone else had notice of something along these lines or been told that a QDos contract review is insufficient?
                i've heard of this for some clients in the public sector. Unwilling to accept a professional contract review and want you to apply full PAYE to all contracting income.

Load of utter tulipe.

Comment

Are we talking about the CL1 framework here? You should be safe as you have toprove you are outside using the defunct BETs..
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Are we talking about the CL1 framework here? You should be safe as you have toprove you are outside using the defunct BETs..
                    Not quite.

You took BET and if you came out as low risk that was it. If you were medium or high you had to then provide additional evidence such as the QDOS review offerings. With the BET's gone the only acceptable evidence is a professional review. Or it was until the HMRC FUD started hitting the department HR fans.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by westtester View Post
                      I'm in same position as you right now. Just been through org audit and submitted QDOS review which was a pass. They wrote back and said they were happy. Been told this week to expect a letter (due tomorrow I believe) that's going to ask for more info. Rumour is that we need to supply evidence of PAYE and NIC paid for the contract period. If this happens, I will have to show no PAYE or NIC paid............ I don't want to get too nervous about all this until the letter hits. Watch this space! Some other vicious rumour going round also is that the MOD are bringing forward the legislation on IR35 that will apply elsewhere in the public sector next April. I don't believe that however. For info, I'm within the CL/1 framework.

Comment

Working...
                      X