• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC off payroll decision service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    is this a joke? HMRC surely would not have placed such sensitive stuff in the public domain yet.
    No there is tonnes of open source government stuff hiding in plain sight we are trying to change the world dontchaknow

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      The problem is the person answering the questions and the level of risk they are willing to accept...
      Very true.

I asked QDOS what their experience was of agents and they seemed to have a sense that agents were possibly not as unwilling to accept this risk as all of us assumed.

Only time will tell of course.

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
        Very true.

I asked QDOS what their experience was of agents and they seemed to have a sense that agents were possibly not as unwilling to accept this risk as all of us assumed.

Imagine a situation: today a role is released and the hounds start looking for candidates. How long do you think hound a) will stand by and listen to countless candidates telling them to get f*cked because hound b) will do the same role outside IR35?

There is lots of brave tulipe being spouted on linked in right now but I can tell you the chap I spoke to the other day hadn't thought about the concept that it's the end of the client chain that makes the call and two agents are not the same...

Fun will be had

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          Imagine a situation: today a role is released and the hounds start looking for candidates. How long do you think hound a) will stand by and listen to countless candidates telling them to get f*cked because hound b) will do the same role outside IR35?

There is lots of brave tulipe being spouted on linked in right now but I can tell you the chap I spoke to the other day hadn't thought about the concept that it's the end of the client chain that makes the call and two agents are not the same...

Fun will be had
          So are you saying you think some will use this as somewhat of a USP to differentiate themselves from other agencies ?

Comment

Are we really suggesting this is the question set that will be used on the online tool? That cant be right, can it?
            The questions are pretty much the same IR35 questions that have been bouncing around for the last 10 years or so, just maybe some broken down into sub questions. Plus, there has been discussion of 'the tool not being ready on time' - you could knock that tool up in an ASP page in a few minutes. Of course, the detail is.. what is the weighting of the questions. If they all score 1 point but the question "Has own business premises" (or however it is worded) scored 99, then thats a different kettle of fish (assuming that a home office is not a business premises.

I imagine even if these are the questions/test, there will be lots of HMRC guidance and exclusions- such as "Advertising"... "HMRC advises that only those that advertise in the national press, and uses a Wipro or CACI agreed font shall bee deemed as advertising" - otherwise pretty much al of these have an easy get around (run a classified in your local rag for a few weeks for £20).

Comment

Very true.

I think QDOS may well be right. I can see agents operating like this:

Agent (a) is risk adverse and puts all contractors inside ir35 and offeres higher prices in return (possibly lower quality candidate?), starts to loose out to agent (b).

Agent (b) has a business structure to manage the financial risk decalares all contractors outside of ir35 after due dilligence and advise to the end client about how to operate correctly with contractors, every thing continues as was.

Ninja edit: Due dilligence may extend to checking we are real business before engaging with us using the check list proposed above.
              Last edited by BlueSharp; 28 November 2016, 13:13.
              Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Very true.

QDOS's official statement last week is here https://www.qdoscontractor.com/news/...statement-2016

Their advice is
                We would urge both contractors and agencies not to panic. We are actively speaking to agencies and other key parties with a view to implementing practical, sensible and compliant processes which will ensure those genuinely trading outside IR35 can continue to do so.
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
                  QDOS's official statement last week is here https://www.qdoscontractor.com/news/...statement-2016

Their advice is
                  And I would adopt a wait and see approach unless you are currently in the public sector.

If you are in the public sector I would, however, be doing my hardest to find a different contract prior to April. The last thing you want is for the contract you've been doing for the past 12 - 18 months suddenly being inside IR35...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyboy View Post
                    Are we really suggesting this is the question set that will be used on the online tool? That cant be right, can it?
                    The questions are pretty much the same IR35 questions that have been bouncing around for the last 10 years or so, just maybe some broken down into sub questions.
                    By default everything goes in the open now unless there's a good reason for it not to be rather than there being any interest in it being out there. I'll be honest I would have thought that this would be a perfect case for keeping the rules matrix etc separate and private.

If you look here you can see the answers to results matrices:
                    https://github.com/hmrc/off-payroll-...er/conf/tables

Certain combinations of answers lead to a definitive 'Inside' or 'Outside' result, others lead to a high/medium/low weighting that is presumably then combined with the results from other sections (some how). It still is likely some no nothing manager somewhere has to decide what level of 'risk' they're willing to take.

I've run the back end up and had a play with some of the questions/answers and it behaves pretty much as you'd expect. I don't think this is going to be something that brings a lot of clarity for anyone.

Originally posted by jonnyboy View Post
                    Plus, there has been discussion of 'the tool not being ready on time' - you could knock that tool up in an ASP page in a few minutes. O
                    You've not worked with HMRC digital have you It looks like the back end of this is on its way to being done but the front end application has barely been started. Expect a lot of time to sort that out (User Research!). I consider April optimistic.

Comment

So are you saying you think some will use this as somewhat of a USP to differentiate themselves from other agencies ?
                      I thought it was the end client who were responsible for determining this...not the agency
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X