• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors need to sell themselves as a Cloud resource

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by europetractor View Post
    Yes but you know what the problem is ? The radiation can get from below therefore making your hat a radiation container, totally reversing the intended effect. I bet you don't mention that on your advertising :P
    How many do you want?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Managed Service?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        I think that we need to look beyond IR35, to see ourselves as working beyond that and to show companies that contractors are still a valuable resource.

As I'm in a project building a new cloud environment for a client, it's suddenly occurred to us that contractors need to sell themselves in the same way that Microsoft sells Azure - "Scale when you need to, pay as you go".

Companies are beginning to understand that benefits of cloud computing rather than resent it, we need them to feel the same about contracting.

What do you think?
        The difference is that of "personal service".

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
          Managed Service?
          A contractor that is under management (and control and supervision)? Instant IR35 and agency worker indicators.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I think that we need to look beyond IR35, to see ourselves as working beyond that and to show companies that contractors are still a valuable resource.

As I'm in a project building a new cloud environment for a client, it's suddenly occurred to us that contractors need to sell themselves in the same way that Microsoft sells Azure - "Scale when you need to, pay as you go".

Companies are beginning to understand that benefits of cloud computing rather than resent it, we need them to feel the same about contracting.

What do you think?
            I think what you are really looking for is CAAS some examples include:
            I need a design for an exchange environment
            I need someone to document process X
            I would like to understand my building infrastructure to understand IoT risk

in all of those cases a decent contractor should be able to say that will be between £5k and £100k

However the part where most customers fall over is when you say but I'm not sitting in your office for 40 hours a week and I'm not telling you who's doing the work.

That fee buys a document on x date and I will call your staff to arrange knowledge share.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              ...A client either needs it full time or they don't....
              Not the case. My current contract is 2 days per week. Another consultant here has a contract for 2 days per month. It's been like that for years, and the client likes the model.

The reason this doesn't happen more often is
              1. Contractors want full time work
              2. Clients may want part time or short-term resources but can't get them easily because of 1.
              3. Agencies aren't interested in part time because of 1 and 2.
              4. Contractors who'd quite like to have a few part-time clients can't do it because of 2 and 3. (Yes, it's a negative feedback system).

The niche exists, but there's no infrastructure in place to support it widely as a way of working. The only reason I've been able to do it is because my reputation* as someone who delivers is spread by word of mouth.

Originally posted by Alias View Post
              Sounds like you are proposing a retainer/demand based contract.
              It's exactly how I've been working for the past 10 years. E.g. I have a 100 day contract this year for one client. If it turns out that 120 days are needed, they'll raise the extra PO. If it turns out I only use 90 days, then that's the way it works, and why my rate is slightly higher than the norm. It's a risk, but mitigated by higher fees.

In ten years, I've never had a problem meeting the clients' needs. On occasion I've worked for one client at another client's site, but it is rare that there's any kind of clash.

For reference, my work is development (mainly), tech lead, tech consultancy, proofs-of-concepts, new technology exploitation (all in SAP area).

* Hard to believe I know, but I do have a good rep.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
                A contractor that is under management (and control and supervision)? Instant IR35 and agency worker indicators.
                Ah but hang on this is the problem.

This whole concept of control is bulltulip. I am controlling a dozen suppliers at the moment not a single one of them is free to do as they wish. I have detailed what I want, when i want it, the standard it is to be delivered against and why to all of them.

If control is a real concept then there are a number of large organisations that need to yield to my requests and thus are in the same legal boat as a one man band.

i.e you are not a business you are being controlled and so we need to treat this as we are paying the person doing it as an employee...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Not the case. My current contract is 2 days per week. Another consultant here has a contract for 2 days per month. It's been like that for years, and the client likes the model.

The reason this doesn't happen more often is
                  1. Contractors want full time work
                  2. Clients may want part time or short-term resources but can't get them easily because of 1.
                  3. Agencies aren't interested in part time because of 1 and 2.
                  4. Contractors who'd quite like to have a few part-time clients can't do it because of 2 and 3. (Yes, it's a negative feedback system).

The niche exists, but there's no infrastructure in place to support it widely as a way of working. The only reason I've been able to do it is because my reputation* as someone who delivers is spread by word of mouth.

It's exactly how I've been working for the past 10 years. E.g. I have a 100 day contract this year for one client. If it turns out that 120 days are needed, they'll raise the extra PO. If it turns out I only use 90 days, then that's the way it works, and why my rate is slightly higher than the norm. It's a risk, but mitigated by higher fees.

In ten years, I've never had a problem meeting the clients' needs. On occasion I've worked for one client at another client's site, but it is rare that there's any kind of clash.

For reference, my work is development (mainly), tech lead, tech consultancy, proofs-of-concepts, new technology exploitation (all in SAP area).

* Hard to believe I know, but I do have a good rep.
                  Yep and to do that you need to build up a reputation and remove agents from the loop...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    My immediate thought you are compare apples and pears. Azure is a configurable flexible platform and all that. A contractor offers a single highly skilled service. A client either needs it full time or they don't. Azure is a jigsaw that can be anything when finished, a contractor is just a single piece of that jigsaw. If you can start to think like this at all it's going to take bigger change in clients view than it is the way we market ourselves. No good trying to sell something the client doesn't want or understand.

There maybe a few that can position themselves like this but am not sure how the vast majority can.

Any more thoughts on what the offering might look like?
                    It's time for contractors become multi-skilled and flexible, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                      It's time for contractors become multi-skilled and flexible, don't you think?
                      Nope.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X