• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of IT contracting this June?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Employers NI makes that impossible.
    Yes, it's the same problem as CT.

Again, it really is possible. Just kill ER NI and increase the rate of employee NI to make up for it. Employers would have to increase salaries to make up the difference. But I can't see any employer refusing to do so.

But it isn't politically palatable. "You're giving my boss a tax break and making ME pay for it?" So it won't happen.

None of the things that really make sense towards tax simplification and a coherent tax system will happen. Anything worthwhile will be killed by demagoguery.

Comment

In the 17 years I have been in the industry I am in, I have had 18 different 'jobs' - ranging from a week long to just under two years in duration. They have been a mix of PAYE and contracting/umbrella.

Out of the four PAYE roles I have had I was made redundant from three of them - there is just no security in the industry at the level I am at to make it worth been PAYE - there isnt enough time to build up any level of extra protection offered by law, ie, I have never been in ANY of the roles over two years. OK, when I was PAYE, I got the obligatory 4 weeks holiday, but only in one of them did I get sick pay (they were an international blue chip with 95,000 world wide employees at one time) - so really, what is the point of me been PAYE unless it was with another blue-chip?

I also, except the most recent PAYE role where i was based 40 miles from home, have been travelling the length and breadth of the UK - either field based or office based. I really cant imagine that if I was forced into PAYE that any 'employer' would take me on, knowing that they would have to pay accommodation and fuel costs as most of the clients have worked for a Englandshire based (I live in Scotland). The few that are in Scotland don't pay the best of money anyway and I would definitely have to pay my own commuting costs.

The one shoe fits all approach from Government just doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomo1971 View Post
        In the 17 years I have been in the industry I am in, I have had 18 different 'jobs' - ranging from a week long to just under two years in duration. They have been a mix of PAYE and contracting/umbrella.

Out of the four PAYE roles I have had I was made redundant from three of them - there is just no security in the industry at the level I am at to make it worth been PAYE - there isnt enough time to build up any level of extra protection offered by law, ie, I have never been in ANY of the roles over two years. OK, when I was PAYE, I got the obligatory 4 weeks holiday, but only in one of them did I get sick pay (they were an international blue chip with 95,000 world wide employees at one time) - so really, what is the point of me been PAYE unless it was with another blue-chip?

I also, except the most recent PAYE role where i was based 40 miles from home, have been travelling the length and breadth of the UK - either field based or office based. I really cant imagine that if I was forced into PAYE that any 'employer' would take me on, knowing that they would have to pay accommodation and fuel costs as most of the clients have worked for a Englandshire based (I live in Scotland). The few that are in Scotland don't pay the best of money anyway and I would definitely have to pay my own commuting costs.

The one shoe fits all approach from Government just doesn't work.
        Throw in wage stagnation as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          Throw in wage stagnation as well.
          Wage stagnation in the IT industry just means that permies change jobs every few months.
          Last edited by SueEllen; 21 May 2017, 06:16.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Wage stagnation in the IT industry just means that permies change jobs every few months.
            Until they get to the top end of the market, where wages are stagnent...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Very hard to make any headway these days. Most (all?) decent blue chip employers use the same benchmarks for setting salary levels. Nobody wants to out of line and I believe many in similar businesses have unofficial anti-poaching agreements.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
              X