• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taylor Review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're Brexiting and the government are reducing business rates in an attempt to keep British workers employed in on-shore jobs.

I think we can safely assume that any features of Taylor's report which call for an increase in employer's NI takings and a reform of worker's rights will be given short shrift by the government.

Comment

Originally posted by 7specialgems View Post
      We're Brexiting and the government are reducing business rates in an attempt to keep British workers employed in on-shore jobs.

I think we can safely assume that any features of Taylor's report which call for an increase in employer's NI takings and a reform of worker's rights will be given short shrift by the government.
      Most gig economy work is service based that needs to be performed locally. Employers NI can be attached to that dependent worker and no-one will care... As I stated at the time of the budget Hammond's mistake was to announce it before this report came out rather than leaving things to November after this report...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Most gig economy work is service based that needs to be performed locally. Employers NI can be attached to that dependent worker and no-one will care... As I stated at the time of the budget Hammond's mistake was to announce it before this report came out rather than leaving things to November after this report...
        That and the pesky manifesto commitment. In the current context, it would go through without major problems (much puffing from The Sun etc., but no fatal damage). However, Damian Green has now confirmed that the NIC changes won't be reintroduced, which leaves another 2bn black hole. I wonder how that might be filled... Certainly, enough contractors being designated as workers/dependent contractors would help if ErNI is going to be imposed on hirers.

What's surprising about this report is the lack of surprises. Almost everything was well-telegraphed. I also don't expect much to make it through to legislation; at least, very little unless Labour is onside.

On umbrellas, don't they typically employ the Swedish derogation to comply with the AWR? The FT was trailing a recommendation on that being abolished; did you catch the text on that?

Comment

Where did you see reduction in business rates? Our office's rates are doubling, staggered over next 5 years.

More likely the opposite, it's the whole point of exercise - get Employer NICs - 13.8%, much bigger catch than few %-tage on Employee NICs which Govt indeed can resist.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            That and the pesky manifesto commitment. In the current context, it would go through without major problems (much puffing from The Sun etc., but no fatal damage). However, Damian Green has now confirmed that the NIC changes won't be reintroduced, which leaves another 2bn black hole. I wonder how that might be filled... Certainly, enough contractors being designated as workers/dependent contractors would help if ErNI is going to be imposed on hirers.

What's surprising about this report is the lack of surprises. Almost everything was well-telegraphed. I also don't expect much to make it through to legislation; at least, very little unless Labour is onside.

On umbrellas, don't they typically employ the Swedish derogation to comply with the AWR? The FT was trailing a recommendation on that being abolished; did you catch the text on that?
            Page 59 and It's aimed more at agency's rather than umbrellas and focusses on equal pay after 12 weeks....

The Government should repeal the legislation that allows agency workers to opt out of equal pay entitlements. In addition, the Government should consider extending the remit of the EAS Inspectorate to include compliance with the AWR.
            It has been suggested that such a move might limit the options for agency workers who wish to benefit from the protections associated with being an employee of the recruitment agency but we do not agree: Employment businesses will still be able to offer permanent employment contracts to their agency workers in the same way that they could prior to 2010. The individuals will also still be able to benefit from equal pay after 12 weeks. Recruitment agencies should already have mechanisms in place to ensure equal pay after the qualifying period as it would be unlawful to structure arrangements to avoid equal pay. As such, any administrative costs should be minimal.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

How exactly are they going to compel my cleaner to accept digital payments so that his bank statements proved I paid him. Are they going to outlaw cash? Are we supposed to enter into a dystopian cyperpunk future where I have to report my cleaner to the ministry of money because he wanted me to pay him using paper?
              They'll have hotline for cleaners to shop those who pay them cash and get a big cash reward for that.

Comment

Matthew Taylor will be on BBC Radio 4's Money Box with Paul Lewis from 3pm today.

If you want to ask questions, you can email [email protected] or call 03700 100 444 from 1pm.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Work and Pensions SC report here. One recommendation is for a statutory definition with more emphasis on D&C.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Work and Pensions SC report here. One recommendation is for a statutory definition with more emphasis on D&C.
                    In the Draft Bill (https://publications.parliament.uk/p...dTextAnchor048) there's a lot that doesn't sound too bad for us, such as the inclusion of these factors in determining status:

(a) whether the contract places an obligation on the individual to perform work personally;
                    (b)whether the other party to the contract retains the potential to control to a substantial degree how the individual’s work will be carried out in relation factors such as:
                    (i) disciplining the individual;
                    (ii) the activities to be carried out;
                    (iii) the order in which activities are to be carried out;
                    (iv) the equipment or products to be used in carrying out the activities;
                    (v) the rate of pay for the activities;
                    (vi) where the work will be carried out;
                    (vii) how the activities will be carried out; and
                    (viii) the hours during which the work is to be carried out.
                    (c) whether the individual is integrated into the other party to the contract’s business;
                    (d) whether the other party to the contract provides tools or equipment;
                    (e) the degree of financial risk undertaken by the individual; and
                    (f) whether the individual is prohibited from working for others during the contract.

and

(a) whether the individual assumes responsibility for the success or failure of his business;
                    (b) whether the individual can hire others at their own expense;
                    (c) whether the individual has the ability to determine the manner in which the services are carried out;
                    (d) whether the individual actively markets their services;
                    (e) whether the individual can negotiate and set the price for their services; or
                    (f) whether the individual is responsible for their own indemnity cover or public liability insurance”.

I think a CEST based on those criteria would be ok.

Comment

Rachel Reeves MP Labour (Leeds West) and Lord Taylor are currently on LBC lobbying for bringing the Taylor review into fruition.

They want people to be labelled workers by default and leave it to the employer to prove otherwise.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X