• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More "Gig Economy" news: Court backs salesman's claim for 13 years of holiday pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More "Gig Economy" news: Court backs salesman's claim for 13 years of holiday pay

Court backs salesman's claim for 13 years of holiday pay - BBC News

Throughout the article, the firm are referred to as the "employer" rather than the client. I wonder if Hector will be checking that he's paid the correct tax?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Lawyers

Can see this being the next PPI type cash cow for solicitors going forward, no win no fee basis!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Throughout the article, the firm are referred to as the "employer" rather than the client. I wonder if Hector will be checking that he's paid the correct tax?
        No because he is a worker so covered by one set of rules for employment and another for tax.

It may give Hmrc an incentive to ensure employment and tax laws relating to work match each other
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          A common misunderstanding. He may have the status of 'worker' rather than contractor \ self employed.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
            A common misunderstanding. He may have the status of 'worker' rather than contractor \ self employed.
            The article states:
            "After he was dismissed from the firm, a UK tribunal ruled that Mr King should have been classified as a worker. "

So workers have employers and freelancers have clients.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So do you think he got caught inside by Hector and thought bugger it I need the cash to pay 13 years back tax? I'd imagine 27k won't touch the sides!

Comment

Originally posted by poorautojobber View Post
                So do you think he got caught inside by Hector and thought bugger it I need the cash to pay 13 years back tax? I'd imagine 27k won't touch the sides!
                Won't work for us.

We work through limited companies and aren't sole traders so the rules are different.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X