• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Telegraph article on IR35 impact

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    I appreciate what you're saying, but the other pieces of work aren't even contracts - they are professional services engagements. Work I have tendered for, produced a proposal for, won the business for and then executed on. No agents, direct, competing against other competitive consultants who also want the work.

Surely this sets me apart as a "true" consultant? And that surely would have to be strongly factored in to any argument relating to disguised employment elsewhere? I.E. the chances are if that's how I conduct myself at multiple other clients, that pattern of behavior will be consistent across other engagements as well, no?

If HMRC would even dare attempt to start accusing other contractors who had undertaken work in a similar manner of being disguised employees it'd be enough to make me want to quit contracting, and i've only just started! There seems to be a massive air of them just wanting everyone inside IR35 and not stopping until the market gets to that point.
    I'm not sure what "aren't contracts" means TBH. Contract law is the basis for any engagement between two parties, whether explicit or implied.

I'm not talking about your personal circumstances, because I have no idea what they are, but I suspect that you're making a few different points here:
    1. HMRC would see a bunch of contracts and back-off.
    2. If they didn't, they'd look at the individual contracts and then back-off.
    3. If they didn't, they'd have a tough time arguing that I wasn't in business on my own account.

I think you misunderstand the process. There's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that HMRC "backs-off" under any superficial circumstances. They pursue a case until the detailed facts are established. That's the whole point of operating a deterrent. This isn't about saving tax payer's money though the timely closure of individual investigations. There are countless anecdotes on CUK and elsewhere that support this (one that comes to mind involved a demonstrated, valid, substitution, which did not close down further investigation).

The reality is that HMRC would ask to see all your contracts, and they would then take the contract(s) that looked best for further investigation. All the anecdotal stuff about other contracts (especially if they account for a small fraction of your turnover) will be completely unconvincing, pre-tribunal. In short, of the enumerated points above, the final point may be correct, but it won't be established until you're way down the pipeline of due process. They won't "back off" because a certain % of your contracts look watertight. If one looks arguable, that will be pursued (and even if it doesn't, it will be pursued to some extent).

Comment

A significant factor in the ECR Consulting (Elaine Richardson) case was that she was in business on her own account, and having multiple clients concurrently was specifically cited as evidence to that effect.

That is probably not a precedent that HMRC want to have reinforced by further rulings, which is a risk they would run if they bring cases against people with multiple concurrent clients. Have there been any cases since then that HMRC have pursued where the contractor had multiple concurrent contracts?

People with multiple concurrent contracts, unless they are idiots in what they allow to be written into their contract, can argue there is no MOO (they don't have to take work because they can just go work for their other clients) and can argue that there is no SDC at least on when they work, and often on other aspects of SDC.

Having multiple contracts is not a silver bullet but unless you are a fool you are likely to have a strong case on other points.

HMRC do not want losing precedents, nor to reinforce losing precedents. They don't care about the money that much but every case they lose lessens the FUD factor.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        A significant factor in the ECR Consulting (Elaine Richardson) case was that she was in business on her own account, and having multiple clients concurrently was specifically cited as evidence to that effect.
        This was a minor factor in ECR, alongside many other minor, "in business", factors. As I recall, that case passed on every single major determinant (Moo, D&C, unfettered RoS).

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        That is probably not a precedent that HMRC want to have reinforced by further rulings, which is a risk they would run if they bring cases against people with multiple concurrent clients. Have there been any cases since then that HMRC have pursued where the contractor had multiple concurrent contracts?
        Hardly a precedent for concurrent clients or, indeed, in business factors being critical more generally. It's well established that they contribute to the overall picture and that the overall picture is important. By implication, they could be important in marginal cases. I'm not disputing that. What I am disputing is that "in business" factors are sufficient when all of the major tests are failed for any one contract.

On your specific question: how many IR35 cases have there been since 2011 fullstop? We have a body of about 20 IR35 cases to draw on, in addition to employment cases over many decades.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          I'm not sure what "aren't contracts" means TBH. Contract law is the basis for any engagement between two parties, whether explicit or implied.

I'm not talking about your personal circumstances, because I have no idea what they are, but I suspect that you're making a few different points here:
          1. HMRC would see a bunch of contracts and back-off.
          2. If they didn't, they'd look at the individual contracts and then back-off.
          3. If they didn't, they'd have a tough time arguing that I wasn't in business on my own account.

I think you misunderstand the process. There's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that HMRC "backs-off" under any superficial circumstances. They pursue a case until the detailed facts are established. That's the whole point of operating a deterrent. This isn't about saving tax payer's money though the timely closure of individual investigations. There are countless anecdotes on CUK and elsewhere that support this (one that comes to mind involved a demonstrated, valid, substitution, which did not close down further investigation).

The reality is that HMRC would ask to see all your contracts, and they would then take the contract(s) that looked best for further investigation. All the anecdotal stuff about other contracts (especially if they account for a small fraction of your turnover) will be completely unconvincing, pre-tribunal. In short, of the enumerated points above, the final point may be correct, but it won't be established until you're way down the pipeline of due process. They won't "back off" because a certain % of your contracts look watertight. If one looks arguable, that will be pursued (and even if it doesn't, it will be pursued to some extent).
          Thanks for the super comprehensive and well written response JB

Depending on the work and value of the work to be undertaken, I put a quote together for my client and, if the work is fairly low value / quick to complete, the deliverables go on the quote. Once I have it in writing they wish to accept, I complete the work and invoice for it.

If it's a larger / longer term piece, I follow the same process only I also define a Scope of Works; which I guess you could say is a contract. I then put on my quote "for detailed deliverables see SoW". Process is then the same going forward.

So yeah - there is a contract between myself and the end client to deliver a service or product, but the terms of that are largely implied I would suspect.

Comment

Thanks for the super comprehensive and well written response JB

Depending on the work and value of the work to be undertaken, I put a quote together for my client and, if the work is fairly low value / quick to complete, the deliverables go on the quote. Once I have it in writing they wish to accept, I complete the work and invoice for it.

If it's a larger / longer term piece, I follow the same process only I also define a Scope of Works; which I guess you could say is a contract. I then put on my quote "for detailed deliverables see SoW". Process is then the same going forward.

So yeah - there is a contract between myself and the end client to deliver a service or product, but the terms of that are largely implied I would suspect.
            Sure

But you presumably have T&C, right? Having an arrangement based on Purchase Orders is perfectly viable, and something that I've used in the past for small pieces of work. It sounds like you do this. However, I would also attach my T&C when signing the PO (a one-pager). The main reason for having the T&C explicit, rather than implied, is not for IR35, but for commercial reasons. That said, having a solid contract isn't going to hurt w/ IR35 either.

Comment

I appreciate what you're saying, but the other pieces of work aren't even contracts - they are professional services engagements. Work I have tendered for, produced a proposal for, won the business for and then executed on. No agents, direct, competing against other competitive consultants who also want the work.

Surely this sets me apart as a "true" consultant? And that surely would have to be strongly factored in to any argument relating to disguised employment elsewhere? I.E. the chances are if that's how I conduct myself at multiple other clients, that pattern of behavior will be consistent across other engagements as well, no?

If HMRC would even dare attempt to start accusing other contractors who had undertaken work in a similar manner of being disguised employees it'd be enough to make me want to quit contracting, and i've only just started! There seems to be a massive air of them just wanting everyone inside IR35 and not stopping until the market gets to that point.

The problem is unlikely to be your other bits of work, which, from what you've said, should be clearly outside. The problem is always going to be the main contract.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                The problem is unlikely to be your other bits of work, which, from what you've said, should be clearly outside. The problem is always going to be the main contract.
                Correct.

Even a part time, 20 hour a week contract can easily fall under IR35.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                X