• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Off Payroll working - written ministerial statement 13th March 2018

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Payroll working - written ministerial statement 13th March 2018

In the coming months the Government will publish:

Off-payroll working—a consultation on how to tackle non-compliance in the private sector, drawing on the experience of the public sector reform. The Government will work with businesses and individuals to mitigate the potential administrative burdens of any future changes.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Common...6-90734A2F38AA

The above appeared yesterday but so far seems to have escaped comment.

Perhaps everybody is relieved that the "inevitable" adoption of the public sector rules is not something we've all woken up to this morning. I cannot find any reference to this on the websites of any contractor trade body or agency or recruiter or umbrella. Perhaps it's old news.

We have however been thinking about this a bit.

We consider that it will be important for contractors to mobilise to resist the sort of disastrous changes seen in the public sector and that in doing so, it is necessary to have a coalition of skills and inputs that go beyond the narrow confines of tax.

There are a number of interested parties in this who have the organisation and resources to organise this. Trade bodies, umbrellas, client associations, recruiters, contractor accounting firms.

We are a very small player here but we are happy to pitch in with knowledge and in pointing clients in the right direction.

There does however need to be a guiding hand and we call upon the above parties to provide that.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

One of the newsletters I got about the Spring statement earlier today (can't remember which, only skim read them) did loosely mention this. Basically their view was that it now seemed very unlikely the rules would be moved into the private sector as early as April 2019, would likely be the year after if indeed it happens at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      One of the newsletters I got about the Spring statement earlier today (can't remember which, only skim read them) did loosely mention this. Basically their view was that it now seemed very unlikely the rules would be moved into the private sector as early as April 2019, would likely be the year after if indeed it happens at all.
      Yep with the consultation not starting yesterday it will be very hard to get things done before April 2019 so its definitely going to be April 2020. However, I think that wording means its inevitable:-
      • There is an issue in the private sector
      • there was an issue in the public sector but we've fixed it
      • we just need to work out how to minimize the pain
      Last edited by madame SasGuru; 14 March 2018, 13:05.

Comment

Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
        Yep with the consultation not starting yesterday it will be very hard to get things done before April 2019 so its definitely going to be April 2020. However, I think that wording means its inevitable:-
        • There is an issue in the private sector
        • there was an issue in the public sector but we've fixed it
        • we just need to work out how to minimize the pain
        I think you mean:
        • There is no issue in the private sector
        • there wasn't an issue in the public sector so we created one
        • we just need to work out how to maximise the gain for HMG and the pain for UK Business and contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by ConfusedEasily View Post
          I think you mean:
          • There is no issue in the private sector
          • there wasn't an issue in the public sector so we created one
          • we just need to work out how to maximise the gain for HMG and the pain for UK Business and contractors.
          Nope there is an issue in the private sector - why else are chambermaids and other low paid people company directors?
          Equally the BBC presenters tax issues highlight that there was an issue within the sectors that were actually targeted by the public sector reforms.
          That doesn't mean that the chief purpose of this isn't to maximize tax revenue - Employers NI is a big issue but there are things that HMG can point at and follow up with and we need to fix this.

Comment

Pain or gain; April 19 or 20; still means it needs to be resisted;shaped;influenced; whatever.

Where are those who make money in this area?
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              Probably off looking for a new way to make money.

Comment

Contractors will be making hay until 2020.

A stay of execution until then.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  Pain or gain; April 19 or 20; still means it needs to be resisted;shaped;influenced; whatever.

Enjoying exemptions from all of this bulltulip.

Remember the golden rule. He who has the gold makes the rules.

Comment

Working...
                  X