• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hammond plans tax crackdown on 'synthetic self-employed'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

Mind if I tell you about the time I left a £75k+ job to come back to contracting, because I was bored. I could get a job like that tomorrow.
    Brilliant.

Same here. Was on a high salary but being controlled by idiots.
    I take home a similar amount (a little more if I want to but not always), but am happier, have more freedom, and am NOT under direction and control.

You called this idiot out brilliantly. He's the reason why I won't go perm again no matter how much tax I have to pay.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
      I'm unconvinced Hammond will get this to pass in Parliament - presumably this would have all sorts of negative consequences. I should imagine that, should this come to pass, we'd all be better off emptying our company coffers before this legislation comes in.

This may be a naïve question, but what's to stop Fiisch Contracting Ltd. setting up a HQ in the Isle of Man, ala larger corporations adept at tax avoidance?

Poor Matt88 sounds like he's had enough of being out-earned by the contractors he sits next to....
      I agree, if he worked harder, studied and pass a few exams, then he might be remunerated better. However he will have to get that chip off his shoulder first!

Comment

So who will pay my redundancy, pension, training, sickness and bonus?

The government? I thought they were skint?

Comment

Just spoke to my accountant who reckons it ain't gonna happen.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Joolsey86 View Post
            So who will pay my redundancy, pension, training, sickness and bonus?

The government? I thought they were skint?
            The end client, based in the case that HMRC just settled with one of their own contractors.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              To be fair it wouldn’t be the first time that something’s leaked to the press ahead of the budget to get everyone in a frenzy before they actually announce something bad but not “quite as bad” in an effort to stop folk moaning!

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                Is your accountant in the know, or is that just a guess?

Comment

Time for those who haven't done so already to cancel IPSE membership, this club of idiots has proven to be completely useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    Time for those who haven't done so already to cancel IPSE membership, this club of idiots has proven to be completely useless.
                    Haven't they become advocates for benefits for contractors who are caught inside? I thought they'd pretty much abandoned trying to get IR35 overturned.

That said, will the likes of IPSE and QDos be changing their IR35 insurance offerings if the private sector roll-out goes ahead?

Comment

Originally posted by cmscotland View Post
                      To be fair it wouldn’t be the first time that something’s leaked to the press ahead of the budget to get everyone in a frenzy before they actually announce something bad but not “quite as bad” in an effort to stop folk moaning!
                      That probably means April 2020 rather than 2019 for the implementation.

Comment

Working...
                      X