• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ir35 2020

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In all seriousness, I don’t see the issue. Things change - it’s called “progress”.

The consequence of this change is yet to be realised - rates might go up; accountants/agents might get creative; we might get employee-Type benefits; the contractor market might be decimated and ex-contractors may be deemed unemployable and unfit for perm work. Who knows? Only time will tell.

Worst case scenario we’ll all be shutting up shop in eighteen months and making use of Entrepreneurs tax relief (thanks Phil).

I’d sooner the burden is passed to the client, as despite reading at length on the subject, I’m still not sufficiently qualified to judge IR35 status in isolation. I’d sooner to be left to focus on what I’m good at.... (tbc!)
    Last edited by fiisch; 29 October 2018, 17:57.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
      I think you are the missing point. The problem is not with a contractor attitude, but how agencies and big companies will approach that. If they will advertise contract as IR35 inside only, it won't be your decision. The pool of contracts outside IR35 will decrease significantly.
      Totally agree.....Right now the public sector struggles to recruit - some people jumped ship to the private sector. Where the public sector offers outside IR35 roles I think it's more to do with the fact that contractors are shunning the inside IR35 gigs and staying in the private sector. To compete they have to advertise it as outside. By rolling ir35 out into the private sector, this competition is removed. Both the private and public sectors will only offer inside roles because there is less of a risk.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
        I’m still not sufficiently qualified to judge IR35 status in isolation.
        Let me remind you of the complex subtle logic:

1) If the Revenue don't investigate you, you're not IR35
        2) If QDOS get you off or the Revenue give up, you're not IR35
        3) Else you are IR35

IR 35 stands for Income Roulette 35 years. (Well I did it for slightly less)
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

I'm looking forward to the sick pay... and holidays.

"We'll be rich! Richer than astronauts!"
          If mental illness qualifies for sick pay, you're about to be very rich indeed...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

In all seriousness, I don’t see the issue. Things change - it’s called “progress”.
            You've been contracting how long?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Seriously do people not realise:

2. You cannot opt-out
              I opt out on every contract. I go direct and every contract has a substitution clause and very specific anti-SDC provisions. A lot of my contracts are fixed-price and I use helpers on every project.

Comment

My god the comments on here! most will be in an ir35 contract even though they are not.. just look at the public sector. They will not raise rates as most are penny a pound.

It doesn't matter if your contract is out. When it rolls through most will be passed as in due to risk so it's out of your hand.

Comment

The consequence of this change is yet to be realised - rates might go up; accountants/agents might get creative; we might get employee-Type benefits; the contractor market might be decimated and ex-contractors may be deemed unemployable and unfit for perm work. Who knows? Only time will tell.

Worst case scenario we’ll all be shutting up shop in eighteen months and making use of Entrepreneurs tax relief (thanks Phil).

I’d sooner the burden is passed to the client, as despite reading at length on the subject, I’m still not sufficiently qualified to judge IR35 status in isolation. I’d sooner to be left to focus on what I’m good at.... (tbc!)
                  If you want perm type benefits and be left to what you are good at then just go perm today 😌. No one is stopping you

This is the end of contracting as we have known it. And the government estimates that a third of contractors are really disguised employees (and I am not surprised at this figure)

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    In addition, you can be in the public sector, and outside IR35. The change is to the responsibility for determination of status. Not the facts of the status, nor the law on the status (except the removal of 5% expenses).
                    The responsibility for deducting tax changes. The liability changes. The responsibility for employers' NI should change.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                      Totally agree.....Right now the public sector struggles to recruit - some people jumped ship to the private sector. Where the public sector offers outside IR35 roles I think it's more to do with the fact that contractors are shunning the inside IR35 gigs and staying in the private sector. To compete they have to advertise it as outside. By rolling ir35 out into the private sector, this competition is removed. Both the private and public sectors will only offer inside roles because there is less of a risk.
                      That last bit depends on how many cases we see between now and there where contractors claim employment benefits forcing a re-appraisal of their status. We've seen two cases recently that impacted both the end client and the agencies involved due to poor management of the assessment process. More of those will highlight that declaring al contracts as inside still carries risk and potential liabilities.

It's not a done deal yet, and I still think there will be room for and demand for contractors to work outside IR35. It will take effort from both sides to make it work.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X