• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ir35 2020

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post

This is the end of contracting as we have known it. And the government estimates that a third of contractors are really disguised employees (and I am not surprised at this figure)
    Judging by the people I've met it's more like 2/3rds....
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Personally I think 90% of current IT contractors will be classified as inside IR35 by big clients (forced by their risk / human remains depts).

To me this marks the effective end of meaningful IT contracting in the UK.

Thankfully I should be retired by then.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        That last bit depends on how many cases we see between now and there where contractors claim employment benefits forcing a re-appraisal of their status. We've seen two cases recently that impacted both the end client and the agencies involved due to poor management of the assessment process. More of those will highlight that declaring al contracts as inside still carries risk and potential liabilities.

It's not a done deal yet, and I still think there will be room for and demand for contractors to work outside IR35. It will take effort from both sides to make it work.
        I totally agree with this ^^^^^

A truly independent contractor is a valuable resource for a client. Client's will make it work where they need to.

Where they don't need the independence, and need control , i.e. just bums on seats they want to be able to bin at short notice, they'll just declare, correctly, as inside.

The lessons learned in the public sector before April 2020 will only reinforce this.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You've been contracting how long?

Two years off and on, but don’t see the relevance to the quote as I’m clearly referencing legislation in general, not specific legislation affecting independent contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
            Two years off and on, but don’t see the relevance to the quote as I’m clearly referencing legislation in general, not specific legislation affecting independent contractors.
            Because you clearly aren't a contractor.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Looks like I moved to Jersey at the right time.

13% seems much more reasonable even in permiedom.

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
                Looks like I moved to Jersey at the right time.

13% seems much more reasonable even in permiedom.

On what sort of salary expressed in gbp?

13% of 30K is not great = 13% of 300K is better

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Personally I think 90% of current IT contractors will be classified as inside IR35 by big clients (forced by their risk / human remains depts).

To me this marks the effective end of meaningful IT contracting in the UK.
                  I expect this is closest to the truth under the current model. HR departments are risk adverse. If it ends up with a skills shortage they will lobby for fast track visas for Bob contractors on crap rates who aspire to be permie.

The only hope is effective lobbying for a new model of contracting. Eg. One where the contractor bids for a contract/work order all in, no requirements on hours worked, location, supervision. It just becomes about the deliverable. I have done this, many could do this, it just requires a cultural shift to make it more common.
                  Last edited by ZARDOZ; 29 October 2018, 20:27.

Comment

well.. my current contract ends July 2019.
                    i have just been asked if i wanted to keep on working with the organisation after that contract (<2yrs)- in another role/ part of the country on a different project - but with this all going on - i might just start asking around for work in the ME..

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Because you clearly aren't a contractor.
                      I’m not an accountant nor chancellor of the exchequer either. I didn’t realise these factors prohibit me from having an opinion....

I clearly am a contractor. My job description says I am.

Comment

Working...
                      X