• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ir35 2020

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    The real worry is that clients (or more specifically, their HR numpties) may just decide it's not worth the aggro hiring contractors. A decent part of our "value" was in the fact that all HR had to do was phone an agency, and the rest took care of itself. Now they have to fill in a questionnaire which none of them understand, how well do you think it's all going to work out?
    Yes, some will do that. And their projects won't get done, which will cost them.

Others will just say, 'Everyone inside.' And if they want to get good contractors, it will cost them because they'll have to pay more.

Others will have someone in HR learn how to fill out the form. Which will cost them.

Once UK plc figures out this is costing them, perhaps even more than it is costing contractors, they may start to push back. There is a year and a half for business to tighten the screws on the Tories. Contractors should be preparing as if this is going to happen, talking to clients so clients understand how it affects them. But I'm still not sure it will happen. If they'd scheduled it for 2019, I don't think the pressure could have built enough to stop it. Scheduling it for 2020 gives a lot of time for pressure to build.

Comment

Contractors should also be using the time to assess their skills and what sort of service they can provide clients rather than any 'permie style cover' they may have been doing until now.

Time to become real contractors and not temp employees, then they can do all they like regarding IR35 as it won't apply.

We can seek out agencies that understand contractors as a service that already offer suitable b2b style contracts that have time and again been proven to be IR35 friendly by way of the long established independent review services. Maybe a thread recommending agencies that have a good track record in this regard, to encourage competition between agencies if we all start favouring agencies more in tune with the times and willing to adapt to cater for our needs and not just those of the client, though there is some common ground where clients and contractors want the same thing, not to be using contractors as a disguised permie with the IR35 risk that comes with.

Maybe there's an opportunity for an entity to promote more appropriate contracts for clients and agencies to use that de-risks them from IR35 by engaging contractors in a better way. Money to be made selling them seminars to educate and guide them, then charge for contract templates.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
        On what sort of salary expressed in gbp?

13% of 30K is not great = 13% of 300K is better
        120k so not that great
        Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          No, today was a decision; the announcement was that the PS changes would be rolled out to the private sector on 6 April 2020. However, there is a consultation (to come) on the precise details of that rollout. One obvious difference is that there's a threshold for application in the private sector (i.e. the PSC will remain responsible when their client is a small company in "roughly" the same terms as the Companies Act 2006, otherwise it will be the client's responsibility to determine status).
          OK, thanks for that.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

In other EU nations you seem to see small Co-op entities (companies?) where a bunch of guys band together in a loose sense - they can work independently.

I think this is impractical in the UK as it ends up utilising alphabet shares and such dodgy things... how do they make it work in other countries (e.g. Sweden)?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              The real worry is that clients (or more specifically, their HR numpties) may just decide it's not worth the aggro hiring contractors. A decent part of our "value" was in the fact that all HR had to do was phone an agency, and the rest took care of itself. Now they have to fill in a questionnaire which none of them understand, how well do you think it's all going to work out?
              For those who are genuinely outside it'll be fine. I reckon (hope).
              Remember that the finance bill that brought in the changes to the PS explicitly ruled out blanket assessments either way. And that is why there are ongoing battles being fought.

One thing private clients WON'T want is to be taken to court by contractors who they blanket assess. Public sector people aren't bothered by that as it's not their department.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                No, today was a decision; the announcement was that the PS changes would be rolled out to the private sector on 6 April 2020. However, there is a consultation (to come) on the precise details of that rollout. One obvious difference is that there's a threshold for application in the private sector (i.e. the PSC will remain responsible when their client is a small company in "roughly" the same terms as the Companies Act 2006, otherwise it will be the client's responsibility to determine status).
                What you say might be true but it is speculation.

Let's see what the finance bill 2018 says. And if nothing then we need to wait till the finance bill 2019.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  What you say might be true but it is speculation.

Let's see what the finance bill 2018 says. And if nothing then we need to wait till the finance bill 2019.
                  Eh? What is speculation? Also, not sure what you mean by Finance Bill 2018 and 2019.

They've already said what will happen. Detailed consultation in the coming months to inform the draft Finance Bill in summer 2019 for the subsequent tax year, when it will take effect.

The government announced at Budget 2018 that it intends to extend the
                  reforms to the off-payroll rules. A further consultation on the detailed operation
                  of the new rules will be published in the coming months. This consultation will
                  inform the draft Finance Bill legislation, which is expected to be published in
                  Summer 2019. The new rules will be given effect from 6 April 2020.

Comment

Doomed!

I do love the contracting is now dead sentiments. Ive been contracting for over twenty years and its the same message every few years and were still here!

For those that dont want to be institutionalised its a way of life no matter what additional tax we end up paying. I dont intend to change my ways, I will be fighting to prove Im not inside. I parachute in, do my bit then parachute out. No long term contracts here and no flicking onto the next thing at clients request. Thats the way I want to stay and on the basis I do specific work packages, cant see the corp intranet, cant attend work functions yada yada I will be fighting hard to prove Im outside.

It will carry on, those that are institutionalised contractors with years at same client to be fair are probably rightly caught.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      I do love the contracting is now dead sentiments. Ive been contracting for over twenty years and its the same message every few years and were still here!

For those that dont want to be institutionalised its a way of life no matter what additional tax we end up paying. I dont intend to change my ways, I will be fighting to prove Im not inside. I parachute in, do my bit then parachute out. No long term contracts here and no flicking onto the next thing at clients request. Thats the way I want to stay and on the basis I do specific work packages, cant see the corp intranet, cant attend work functions yada yada I will be fighting hard to prove Im outside.

It will carry on, those that are institutionalised contractors with years at same client to be fair are probably rightly caught.
                      You may be right but you could also be swept up as collateral damage. What is scarey is the chatter on LinkedIn at the moment showing a complete lack of understanding of IR35 and the changes to determining tax status.

Comment

Working...
                      X