• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
    So, that's that then I guess. No more contracting, unless we can fight it as a group and gain enough traction with Tory MPs to stop it by 2020. Not much chance of that, but you have to try.

Won't somebody think of the accountants?
    Yes absolutely all contractors will quit.

I don't know when I joined CUK (2008?) but I am sure people have been saying since at least then that contracting is over/not worth it. Strangely, most of them are still contracting and still saying it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I don't know when I joined CUK (2008?) but I am sure people have been saying since at least then that contracting is over/not worth it. Strangely, most of them are still contracting and still saying it.
      They've been saying that since 1999. We're still here.

This thing, contracting, is not over by a long way.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

Even if inside IR35 I would still choose to contract. Yes I'll take a financial hit but will still be comfortable compared to the permies. There is a reasonable amount of work around where I live so travel costs don't really come into it. I will still have the plus points of

Avoiding office politics
        No Personal development/reviews
        Not worrying about how much holiday I can take
        Choosing what I work on
        Moving on if I'm not enjoying what I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Just as in most things in life really. The smarter ones already quit and moved on to pastures new and in my case, far more lucrative as a bonus too. By the time the majority catch on, the ship has sailed. It's true here just like everywhere else. HTH.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

That may be true but over the same period those contractors who are still contracting continually bemoan how contracting is not as good as it used to be. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
              That may be true but over the same period those contractors who are still contracting continually bemoan how contracting is not as good as it used to be. Go figure.
              Nostalgia isn't what it used to be, either

Comment

I work for the Public Sector and they have all contractors outside IR35. So much easier as the client assumes liability, not the individual contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Just as in most things in life really. The smarter ones already quit and moved on to pastures new and in my case, far more lucrative as a bonus too. By the time the majority catch on, the ship has sailed. It's true here just like everywhere else. HTH.
                  The really smart ones doesn't listen to billy bulltulipters on internet forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                    I work for the Public Sector and they have all contractors outside IR35. So much easier as the client assumes liability, not the individual contractor.
                    This should provide a fair amount of comfort for contractors more generally. If the public sector are prepared to make a call like this (which may well be after careful consideration of contracts/working practices) then presumably at least some in the private sector will be happy to as well. If some private sector businesses do it, then others will feel pressure to follow suit, as otherwise they'll likely lose the best talent.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      The really smart ones doesn't listen to billy bulltulipters on internet forums.
                      Yes, that's right, I don't.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X