The end The end - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

Thread: The end

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    We have an acquaintance of the family with two years service in the public sector in an IT role who has just accepted a different job still in the public sector on a shade less than GBP 52,000 per annum. The person is 27. Good luck to them, there's life beyond IR35 it seems? (BTW - Not in London so no London style salary).
    There is much more to contracting than net pay. I would rather eat my shoes, than going through weekly F2F and bi-annual development plan/review and begging for an annual leave approval

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    There is much more to contracting than net pay. I would rather eat my shoes, than going through weekly F2F and bi-annual development plan/review and begging for an annual leave approval
    I'd rather eat Your shoes than do that krap
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    There's more to life than contracting. I'd rather have a successful plan B than work away from how week in week out, living out of a suitcase in a hotel or b&b where the bed sheets may look clean. Then slog through the commute back home each weekend for a couple of days of true freedom before it all starts again.

I was fortunate that my last contract was 100% WFH otherwise I'd have jumped ship sooner.

Currently in the planning phase of a plan B that hopefully, this time, won't crash and burn taking much of my warchest with it. Even if that happens, a silver lining is I'm going to use it to upskill into some new tech I can then put on my CV and go for more interesting contracts once the gravy train for those skills arrives, likely next year.

Carry on and keep invoicing, but always be planning an exit before the exit finds you.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Still gathering requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    People said the same when IR35 was introduced, when it was reformed, when it hit the Public Sector and hey, guess what. We are still here.

Far too much to go on between now and then to be throwing the towel in.
    Just noticed this post from just over a year ago. Famous last words, eh?
    Last edited by OneManBand; 12th November 2019 at 11:41.

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    We have an acquaintance of the family with two years service in the public sector in an IT role who has just accepted a different job still in the public sector on a shade less than GBP 52,000 per annum. The person is 27. Good luck to them, there's life beyond IR35 it seems? (BTW - Not in London so no London style salary).
    Youngsters have it hard these days, but presumably income support will boost him to an acceptable living wage...?