The end The end
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: The end

More time posting than coding

Default The end

So, that's that then I guess. No more contracting, unless we can fight it as a group and gain enough traction with Tory MPs to stop it by 2020. Not much chance of that, but you have to try.

Won't somebody think of the accountants?

Super poster

People could join some organisation that fights for the rights of independent professionals and the self-employed. All coming together to fight a common cause and all that.

My post count is Majestic

People said the same when IR35 was introduced, when it was reformed, when it hit the Public Sector and hey, guess what. We are still here.

Far too much to go on between now and then to be throwing the towel in.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    People said the same when IR35 was introduced, when it was reformed, when it hit the Public Sector and hey, guess what. We are still here.

Exactly this. Way too early to conclude anything, wait and see how the market will respond.

Also be sure there will be considerable pressure on the government between now and Apr2020, which could work to some extent.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post

I've spent a lot of my life being cynical, but I'm actually quite optimistic over this. I honestly think there'll be a brave new world for contractors who want to do 'real' contracting and can hold their nerve.

I've spent so much time persuading clients to treat me as a B2B that I find myself quite looking forward to it. Life's too short to let this define me - I contract for a large variety of reasons, and hopefully, most of those will still be valid.

Fingers like lightning

Everything to play for. There will be a lot of conversation s between Finance and HR departments in the next 18 months and it was never totally adopted in the public sector.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Everything to play for. There will be a lot of conversation s between Finance and HR departments in the next 18 months and it was never totally adopted in the public sector.
    The problem is, and for a Tory government I'm surprised they can't grasp this, is that contractors don't just randomly exist. There's a market for it and if the private sector knows one thing, it's how to get what they want even if it means "working around" the rules.

The demand for contractors and what we do isn't just going to disappear, the roles aren't going to disappear, the work that needs doing isn't going to just disappear. It's like to trying to reduce drug usage by increasing tax on heroine.

Respect my authoritah!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
    So, that's that then I guess. No more contracting, unless we can fight it as a group and gain enough traction with Tory MPs to stop it by 2020. Not much chance of that, but you have to try.

Won't somebody think of the accountants?
    Oh. Is it 1999 again?
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Contractor Among Contractors

What are you panicking about? Almost nothing has changed.

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    . It's like to trying to reduce drug usage by increasing tax on heroine.
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................