• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick question regarding company size

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question regarding company size

I've been looking around recently just need to clarify with the recent proposals that have come in via the budget:

Company Size:

Small (10-49 employees)
    Medium (50-249 employees)
    Large (250+ employees)

Is this correct or or am I wrong?

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
    I've been looking around recently just need to clarify with the recent proposals that have come in via the budget:

Company Size:

Small (10-49 employees)
    Large (250+ employees)

It's a year off and is very much likely to change before then.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post

Company Size:

Small (10-49 employees)
      Large (250+ employees)

As NLUK says, we don't know yet.

But I doubt those numbers.
      More like:
      Small <250
      Medium 250 - 5,000
      Large > 5,000
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        As NLUK says, we don't know yet.

But I doubt those numbers.
        More like:
        Small <250
        Medium 250 - 5,000
        Large > 5,000
        I would also suspect some revenue/profit distinction as well as just a pure employee number; some of the richest companies in the UK have very few employees and would be classed as a large business under any other method of determining size

As others have said - too early to tell, and second guessing or worrying about it today won't change the outcome anyway

Comment

Errr no need to guess it's been mentioned a few times on here and is in black and white in the Consultation report. They will use the guidance from the 2006 Companies Act which states in very clear terms

Small Company =

1) Less than £10m turnover a year
          2) Less than 50 employees
          3) Less than £5.1m on balance sheet (which I assume means profit)

Comment

Originally posted by Guvernator View Post
            Errr no need to guess it's been mentioned a few times on here and is in black and white in the Consultation report. They will use the guidance from the 2006 Companies Act which states in very clear terms

Small Company =

1) Less than £10m turnover a year
            2) Less than 50 employees
            3) Less than £5.1m on balance sheet (which I assume means profit)
            This, with the slight caveat (and I forget the precise language used in the consultation response) that it was going to be "based on" this, so I think they are leaving some room for the detailed consultation to suggest that it is not necessarily *precisely* this.

Comment

From the governments own website
              Mid-sized businesses - GOV.UK

The Mid-sized Businesses Growth Review uses a definition based on turnover, £25m-£500m per year. £25m is the upper bound of the SME turnover definition, whilst £500m was chosen as a cut-off point for these ‘smaller’ large firms. Note however, that the Companies’ Act SME definition requires that two out of three characteristics are met – turnover (less than £25m), employees (less than 250), and gross assets (less than £12.5m). Therefore there is likely to be some overlap with SMEs in the MSB population that we are looking at in this analysis. BIS estimates that over half of MSBs also have fewer than 250 employees.

OR

Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) - Definitions

Section 248 of the Companies Act of 1985 states that a company is "small" if it satisfies at least two of the following criteria:
              •a turnover of not more than £2.8 million;
              •a balance sheet total of not more than £1.4 million;
              •not more than 50 employees

A medium sized company must satisfy at least two of the following criteria:
              •a turnover of not more than £11.2 million;
              •a balance sheet total of not more than £5.6 million;
              •not more than 250 employees

For statistical purposes, the Department of Trade and Industry usually used the following definitions:
              •micro firm: 0 - 9 employees
              •small firm: 0 - 49 employees (includes micro)
              •medium firm: 50 - 249 employees
              •large firm: over 250 employees

However, in practice, schemes which are nominally targeted at small firms adopt a variety of working definition depending on their particular objectives.

Comment

In any case, this company size threshold won't last long.

I reckon April 2021, when everything is working "as expected" for medium and large companies (i.e. when CEST has been fully unhinged from reality).

Comment

No doubt the definition of "small company" will be so complicated and open to interpretation that no small company will take the risk of calling themselves that...

Comment

Working...
                  X