• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Note to IPSE Today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Note to IPSE Today

Hello,

I am increasingly disturbed by the news coming from the board and in particular the changes to the Articles of Association they are trying to push through. I am an IT contractor but increasingly IPSE seem to be projecting an image of photogenic creative professionals that do not represent me. The impression this is creating is that IPSE is somewhat embarrassed by its core and founding membership. I am due to renew on the 09/02/2019. I would like to cancel my membership (no. XXXXX) on the 08/02/2019 and not renew.

Thanking you in advance.

My note to IPSE today. Of course there other reasons including the fact that the IR35 battle is basically lost. I also wanted to make my PC image point without laying it on too thickly.

To be fair the changes to the AoA do absolutely nothing to change the services IPSE delivers to its members*. As for who they represent, yes that is changing, but it does not follow that it stops representing its original membership base - but if you're trying to attract new members from other fields then its's not unreasonable that your advertising will reflect their view of the world. Ignore the PR fluff and look at what your membership is actually providing.

As for the IR35 fight being lost, I will have to disagree - it's very much alive. The only change - and one that is a couple of years old now - is that IPSE seem to accepted that IR35 is not going away so are concentrating on minimising its impact and ensuring it is only applied to workers that are clearly in its scope.

* to be absolutely fair, the fear from the remaining CC people is that IPSE's management will set off in a completely different direction in a year or two without the CC there to stop them. I see that whole concept as rather fanciful, but who knows...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I would encourage you not to resign. IPSE represent all Independent Freelancers / Contractors.

Rather, vote against the Special Resolution that the Board are proposing?

Originally posted by ContractBunny View Post
      Hello,

I am increasingly disturbed by the news coming from the board and in particular the changes to the Articles of Association they are trying to push through. I am an IT contractor but increasingly IPSE seem to be projecting an image of photogenic creative professionals that do not represent me. The impression this is creating is that IPSE is somewhat embarrassed by its core and founding membership. I am due to renew on the 09/02/2019. I would like to cancel my membership (no. XXXXX) on the 08/02/2019 and not renew.

Thanking you in advance.

My note to IPSE today. Of course there other reasons including the fact that the IR35 battle is basically lost. I also wanted to make my PC image point without laying it on too thickly.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        To be fair the changes to the AoA do absolutely nothing to change the services IPSE delivers to its members*. As for who they represent, yes that is changing, but it does not follow that it stops representing its original membership base - but if you're trying to attract new members from other fields then its's not unreasonable that your advertising will reflect their view of the world. Ignore the PR fluff and look at what your membership is actually providing.

As for the IR35 fight being lost, I will have to disagree - it's very much alive. The only change - and one that is a couple of years old now - is that IPSE seem to accepted that IR35 is not going away so are concentrating on minimising its impact and ensuring it is only applied to workers that are clearly in its scope.

* to be absolutely fair, the fear from the remaining CC people is that IPSE's management will set off in a completely different direction in a year or two without the CC there to stop them. I see that whole concept as rather fanciful, but who knows...
        The sad thing is that reading PCG 5: IPSE is born | IPSE makes one realise just how much the core membership has been taken for granted.

While on the one hand I can understand the feeling that the aggressive approach towards IR35 had not worked, hence the change in direction to a more touchy feely approach and being closer to the action by being located in Westminster. The sad part is that being less vocal and being more political in the way that good old chaps work has not particularly worked either. The comments about how Hammond and Gauke inferred that IR35 would be history if the Tories were voted in shows just how duplicitous politicians are, particularly once the realities of power sink in.

Ignoring the history for a moment, my fear for the future of the IPSE, if they are not concentrating on what I would imagine are still their core membership, is that the very moment members will need them, post April 2020, is the moment at which I am fully expecting them to abandon their members because of the large numbers of IR35 investigations I expect to take place post that date.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
          The sad thing is that reading PCG 5: IPSE is born | IPSE makes one realise just how much the core membership has been taken for granted.

While on the one hand I can understand the feeling that the aggressive approach towards IR35 had not worked, hence the change in direction to a more touchy feely approach and being closer to the action by being located in Westminster. The sad part is that being less vocal and being more political in the way that good old chaps work has not particularly worked either. The comments about how Hammond and Gauke inferred that IR35 would be history if the Tories were voted in shows just how duplicitous politicians are, particularly once the realities of power sink in.

Ignoring the history for a moment, my fear for the future of the IPSE, if they are not concentrating on what I would imagine are still their core membership, is that the very moment members will need them, post April 2020, is the moment at which I am fully expecting them to abandon their members because of the large numbers of IR35 investigations I expect to take place post that date.
          That's the best non sequitur I've seen all week

Anyway the same question has been asked not all that long ago. As I recall the answer was that there is no plan to abandon the membership. Indeed, since the membership is IPSE, I don't actually see how they can.

As far as I know the aim is to ensure private sector off-payroll rules if they come in (and there is a lot of opposition to the idea) are only applied to those companies who deliberately take on disguised employees. That, as you may imagine, is no easy task! Equally, businesses have no interest in taking on an additional tax and/or administrative burden nor the risks associated with employment tribunals as per the Susan Winchester case. So I'm not expecting a tsunami of claims next year, just some key appeals.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

That's the best non sequitur I've seen all week

Anyway the same question has been asked not all that long ago. As I recall the answer was that there is no plan to abandon the membership. Indeed, since the membership is IPSE, I don't actually see how they can.

As far as I know the aim is to ensure private sector off-payroll rules if they come in (and there is a lot of opposition to the idea) are only applied to those companies who deliberately take on disguised employees. That, as you may imagine, is no easy task! Equally, businesses have no interest in taking on an additional tax and/or administrative burden nor the risks associated with employment tribunals as per the Susan Winchester case. So I'm not expecting a tsunami of claims next year, just some key appeals.
            Non sequitur indeed

There was a lot of opposition to IR35 and look how that turned out. Joking aside no matter how much opposition there is to the private sector off-payroll rollout, the politicians obviously feel like they've got public support on their side so sadly I can't see it going away.

As appears to have been the case in the public sector, blanket assessments are likely to be rife as a risk minimisation strategy if the private sector rollout goes ahead, regardless of the reality. The IPSE needs to be prepared to help its members fight this should the need arise.

Comment

Who knows indeed. I refer the honourable member to iMechE shenanigans...

Mech Eng Matters | Motion 1
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ContractBunny View Post
                What has your contribution to the fight been out of interest?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"only applied to workers that are clearly in its scope", whom I've contended for some time, form a substantial proportion of the IPSE membership.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                    "only applied to workers that are clearly in its scope", whom I've contended for some time, form a substantial proportion of the IPSE membership.
                    Not according to their research they don't, most members consider themselves not to be caught, rightly or wrongly. It rather depends on how you view that scope of course.

Also don't forget their remit is a little wider than us IT types these days; lots of absolutely genuine independents are at risk as well if the PS rules are extended
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X