• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employer National Insurance IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d say that biggest whoosh moment is that if a hirer expects you to devote all of your efforts to their business and act in all respects as an employee, pay employment taxes and negate their exposure, then contractors need to negotiate higher rates, that’s what self employed people do, whether HMRC agrees that they’re self employed or not.

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by cwcsolutions View Post
      I’d say that biggest whoosh moment is that if a hirer expects you to devote all of your efforts to their business and act in all respects as an employee, pay employment taxes and negate their exposure, then contractors need to negotiate higher rates, that’s what self employed people do, whether HMRC agrees that they’re self employed or not.

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum
      Well it's a nice thought. Snag is, your top rate is driven by the least informed of your peers and the market rate is driven by people working for fourpence an hour. Unless you have something quite specific, rate negotiations are out of your control.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        The greatest unfairness with I35 is that you pay Employer NI as well as Employee NI and Income Tax.

So you actually pay more tax than an employee. But have minimal employment benefits.

Further reform is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        Last edited by MDB2610; 2 February 2020, 16:25.

Comment

Originally posted by MDB2610 View Post
          But unlike a normal employee you’re earning 300/400+ per day whereas they’re earning that in a week.

I’m sure you’ll cope
          I see you’ve spent you first eight posts whining about contractors. Depressed permie in a dead-end job?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            I see you’ve spent you first eight posts whining about contractors. Depressed permie in a dead-end job?
            Daily Mail peddler of nonsense? (they don't deserve to be called journalists)

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Last edited by MDB2610; 2 February 2020, 16:26.

Comment

No, spent years around “contractors” who are now bitching about being caught out and having to join the real world
                And you weren't good enough to be a contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  In all seriousness - if I was perm getting a poor salary like £300-400 per week as contractors around me earned sensible money, I'd probably have a large chip on my shoulder too.

Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Last edited by MDB2610; 2 February 2020, 16:25.

Comment

Never been a contractor for a day in my life, never been in a job that would warrant a contractor employment type.

That’s the point, many contractor roles should be classified as perm
                      Interesting that you then chose to join a contractor forum. What did you hope to achieve or contribute?

Comment

Working...
                      X