• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company Closures - Trend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company Closures - Trend

Anyone know how I can get statistics around the number of companies closed/liquidated in the last two years. I gather company house list out the current status of each company but would be curious to know if I can get count for the last two years via FOI. I would love to do trend analysis until the year end and stick it to Sajid/Tory & co on twitter who always claim they support small business, entrepreneurship etc.

pretty sure the number of closures is going to be crazy between now and year end as well as curious to know the impact IR35 had on public sector

Bearing I mind the number of companies out there I'd imagine it's a drop in the ocean. IT contractors will only make up a small number of them.

Some slightly older numbers of companies here. I am sure there are some Ipse figures about how many contractors there are. Factor in a low percentage that will close and you've got a very rough idea. Not one I'd feel comfortable about 'sticking it' to anyone IMO

How many limited companies are there in the UK? - Company Bug
    Last edited by northernladuk; 19 September 2019, 11:19.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have a look at all the FOI requests on companies House to see if it's either been asked before or is even possible.

Companies House - view and make Freedom of Information requests - WhatDoTheyKnow

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Bearing I mind the number of companies out there I'd imagine it's a drop in the ocean. IT contractors will only make up a small number of them.

Some slightly older numbers of companies here. I am sure there are some Ipse figures about how many contractors there are. Factor in a low percentage that will close and you've got a very rough idea. Not one I'd feel comfortable about 'sticking it' to anyone IMO

How many limited companies are there in the UK? - Company Bug
        Sorry. "sticking" comment was purely out of frustration. I have mortgage to pay and kids to look after and have never been out of work for the last 10 years. Current client I am working on is not renewing my contract beyond end of this year and at least two of my former clients have up their location strategy in Asia and Canada.

Comment

But you client renewing isn't anything to do with the upcoming changes is it? That's just contracting.

And you've been very lucky not to be out of work. We all expect bench time at some point. It's part and parcel of what we do. You should have a massive warchest that will keep you comfortable for many months to ride out the storm as well.

I guess we should all be doing out part to push this but I'm really not a fan of knee jerk reactions. We've seen it many times with some of the god awful petitions that crop up and IMO do more harm than good.

If you are going to do some solid research with facts and present it properly the good on you and we'd love to help.

If you want to go down this line then might be worth speaking to Ipse. As they represent us you'd think they have a good grasp of the figures.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            But you client renewing isn't anything to do with the upcoming changes is it? That's just contracting.

And you've been very lucky not to be out of work. We all expect bench time at some point. It's part and parcel of what we do. You should have a massive warchest that will keep you comfortable for many months to ride out the storm as well.

I guess we should all be doing out part to push this but I'm really not a fan of knee jerk reactions. We've seen it many times with some of the god awful petitions that crop up and IMO do more harm than good.

If you are going to do some solid research with facts and present it properly the good on you and we'd love to help.

If you want to go down this line then might be worth speaking to Ipse. As they represent us you'd think they have a good grasp of the figures.
            As they represent us
            I'd question that. I was a member from the early days, but didn't renew this year for several reasons, one being the opinion that they don't represent my, or contractors aspirations any more. They have continually claimed to be influencing the IR35 issues, without providing any scrap of evidence to support that claim. If they had been and what we see from HMRC is a result of their influence, then HMRC must have had some very much more Draconian plans for us. The current plans are pretty severe.

There are others on these fora who clearly felt the same. I would also forecast that after April 2020, their membership will decline substantially and those that remain will only seek to benefit from the side issues/facilities they offer, few of which were of any benefit to me. The core benefits that I enjoyed, I've been able to buy elsewhere at a substantially lower cost than from IPSE. Posting here is clearly more interesting than the IPSE fora, which seemed to be declining, even before I was banned.
            Last edited by JohntheBike; 19 September 2019, 14:36.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              I'd question that. I was a member from the early days, but didn't renew this year for several reasons, one being the opinion that they don't represent my, or contractors aspirations any more. They have continually claimed to be influencing the IR35 issues, without providing any scrap of evidence to support that claim. If they had been and what we see from HMRC is a result of their influence, then HMRC must have had some very much more Draconian plans for us. The current plans are pretty severe.

There are others on these fora who clearly felt the same. I would also forecast that after April 2020, their membership will decline substantially and those that remain will only seek to benefit from the side issues/facilities they offer, few of which were of any benefit to me. The core benefits that I enjoyed, I've been able to buy elsewhere at a substantially lower cost than from IPSE. Posting here is clearly more interesting than the IPSE fora, which seemed to be declining, even before I was banned.
              Not really the point. They represent people that work the way we so should be able to help with facts and figures which was the point of my comment. I clearly wasn't talking about their ability to do so thanks but not really relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by bondboy203 View Post
                Anyone know how I can get statistics around the number of companies closed/liquidated in the last two years. ...
                This may lead to what you seek:

Statistics at Companies House - Companies House - GOV.UK

A quick nosey leads to some interesting graphs and HTML/spreadsheet options, so you may get lucky. Let us know if you find anything interesting.

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                I'd question that. I was a member from the early days, but didn't renew this year for several reasons, one being the opinion that they don't represent my, or contractors aspirations any more. ...
                I still have my PCG coaster on my desk to remind me of the good old days.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  I still have my PCG coaster on my desk to remind me of the good old days.
                  Back in the day, one of my erstwhile CC colleagues thought that they were laptop mouse-pads when they were handed out...

He may have been joking, but I like to think not as it would have been in keeping with both him and the mood in the room at the time.
                  Last edited by wattaj; 20 September 2019, 08:31. Reason: Additional historical detail.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by bondboy203 View Post
                    Anyone know how I can get statistics around the number of companies closed/liquidated in the last two years. I gather company house list out the current status of each company but would be curious to know if I can get count for the last two years via FOI. I would love to do trend analysis until the year end and stick it to Sajid/Tory & co on twitter who always claim they support small business, entrepreneurship etc.

pretty sure the number of closures is going to be crazy between now and year end as well as curious to know the impact IR35 had on public sector
                    The reason for the change in approach was due to a sharp increase in 1 person director businesses being formed so I'm not sure HMG would see this trend reversing as bad news. As NLUK said IPSE do have some good data on this but as I understand it it's from the OBR reports originally.

Comment

Working...
                    X