• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris to Abolish Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
    Very hard to know what that really means. But from the context of the section, it sounds very much like the potential aim of any possible bill would be to protect workers from unscrupulous employers. I’d guess this is trying to stop “gig economy” workers from being utterly screwed by Uber, Deliveroo etc. I’m not seeing anything here that scares the crap out of me. Could be wrong of course!
    it sounds very much like the potential aim of any possible bill would be to protect workers from unscrupulous employers. I’d guess this is trying to stop “gig economy” workers from being utterly screwed by Uber, Deliveroo etc.
    I would tend to agree, based on a similar statement from my Labour MP on Labour party policy.

Comment

If they are insisting that contractors have the same - or indeed worse - tax arrangements than salaried employees I am struggling to think what more they could do!

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        If they are insisting that contractors have the same - or indeed worse - tax arrangements than salaried employees I am struggling to think what more they could do!
        "and then they came for me"

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          "and then they came for me"
          I see the guys in the white coats have finally arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            I see the guys in the white coats have finally arrived.

nah, they were in black and had a reverse Babylonian good luck charm on their sleeves.

Comment

Contracting

Sorry I am back to the UK after 12 years away.

I read this to mean that if your role is for a single company then you either have to be on their PAYE scheme or an umbrella companies PAYE scheme.

So if I temp or undertake any form of exclusive role I have to be paid via PAYE one way or another.

If I work for 2, 3 or more companies maybe a few days per week for each then I am still able to be considered a consultant - in which case I can remain self employed via my own business? Is that the distinction being made?

I work as an SEO professional - my plan is to build up my own client porfolio but at the moment I am unemployed and looking for a job to get re-established back in the UK. I want to setup my own company and move towards my objective but meanwhile want to work but remain compliant with whatever the new rules are

Any input appreciated.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by technobabble View Post
                Sorry I am back to the UK after 12 years away.

I read this to mean that if your role is for a single company then you either have to be on their PAYE scheme or an umbrella companies PAYE scheme.

So if I temp or undertake any form of exclusive role I have to be paid via PAYE one way or another.

If I work for 2, 3 or more companies maybe a few days per week for each then I am still able to be considered a consultant - in which case I can remain self employed via my own business? Is that the distinction being made?

I work as an SEO professional - my plan is to build up my own client porfolio but at the moment I am unemployed and looking for a job to get re-established back in the UK. I want to setup my own company and move towards my objective but meanwhile want to work but remain compliant with whatever the new rules are

Any input appreciated.

Mark
                No, the determination is made on a contract by contract basis. You might find that 1 of the three is outside but the other two inside in your example.

Comment

So the Tories pulling up the ladder after them?? Many of them used it in the past..

The IR35 (private sector) mess is a boon for the big consultancy firms and nothing but negative for everyone forced* down the Umbrella route..
                  The umbrella companies and agencies are lining up to take advantage!

As a kick in the teeth, I find out that many of HMRC's contractors are explicitly outside IR35. Oh and they sold their premises to an offshore company - only to rent it back to themselves..
                  ...as a tax wheeze..
                  You couldn't make it up..

The whole situation is grossly unfair AND pretty depressing..

Cheers,

N

*I say 'forced' as entire business sectors have a blanket ban on using PSC's..

Comment

Originally posted by peel3000 View Post
                    The IR35 (private sector) mess is a boon for the big consultancy firms and nothing but negative for everyone forced* down the Umbrella route..

*I say 'forced' as entire business sectors have a blanket ban on using PSC's..
                    Except now the banks are banning big consultancies from using PSCs too... And maybe in time, so too will other large firms follow suit.

Of course, it will revert as you mentioned about HMRC. The Public sector has had time to figure the game out, and so too will the Private sector...

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                      Except now the banks are banning big consultancies from using PSCs too... And maybe in time, so too will other large firms follow suit.

Of course, it will revert as you mentioned about HMRC. The Public sector has had time to figure the game out, and so too will the Private sector...
                      Business have had plenty of time to "figure it out". They've just chosen not to. At any time over the past couple or decades they could have moved to true B2B engagement models. The only difference now is that they have to.

Comment

Working...
                      X