• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris to Abolish Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boris Johnson to Abolish Contracting Profession in Final IR35 Assault

Can now see why some recent actions have been taken by banks and other big entities.

The Queens Speech says that “The Government is committed to going even further”. They intend implementing the Taylor Review which was published a while back. The Taylor Review said that there should be two types of contractors, Dependent Contractors and Independent Contractors.

Those who would be just extra bodies on IT projects would all be Dependent Contractors and be taxed accordingly. Independent Contractors would be those classified at the moment as Consultants.

A Dependent Contractor works predominantly for one company at a time says Taylor.

So consultants need to have multiple active clients, yet consultancies tend to send their 'consultants' to one client at a time, acting as project bodies that are to be classed as 'dependent contractors'.

Let's see how that plays out in terms of new rules. Too cynical of me to think the big consultancies will have a free pass with the government turning a blind eye to them and only enforcing any such rules on those too small to have 'lobbying' power.

At least we should only have to wait until the next budget on 6th of November to find out more details. Though that date may be at risk if brexit by 31st of October kicks up any further disruption in terms of a general election.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by jk3838 View Post
      http://www.itcontractor.com/boris-johnson-to-abolish-contracting-profession-in-final-ir35-assault Boris Johnson to Abolish Contracting Profession in Final IR35 Assault
      I'd take anything that site say's with a pinch so salt, I'm not saying it's run by a lunatic conspiracy theorist but then again I'm not not saying it either.

Yes contracting is in trouble, but it's better explained elsewhere
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

So consultants need to have multiple active clients, yet consultancies tend to send their 'consultants' to one client at a time, acting as project bodies that are to be classed as 'dependent contractors'.
        Not necessarily, I worked for a lot of consultancies in the past, and they have two model of working:
        1- Consulting project: they tender for a project, charge for delivering an end product (total price for delivery) ... the consultancy has total management of running the project makes the judgment of how the project is delivered how its implemented and number of resources required, the client does not get extra charges for the number of consultants, but may get charged for changes in the requirements etc

2- Service provision: here the client engages the consultancy to help out in an internally managed project, so they ask for extra resources that can be an expert or even junior to perform same role as their perm on the same project... the consultancy here charges daily rate, and increases the charge according to number of consultants it provides, and their experiences.

So the number of client doesn't matter, its the type of engagement that is important... in the future the first type of consultancy will be the only way one can contracts !!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I'd take anything that site say's with a pinch so salt
          you might be right, I can't find the quote from the speech in the article, in the actual speech transcript

Queen's Speech 2019 - GOV.UK

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            I'd take anything that site say's with a pinch so salt
            Indeed. At one time web links on CUK to the site wewre replaced with "notausefulsite".

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              For the big players, as “consultancies” they have more than one client but their “consultants” are typically PAYE employees of the consultancy.
              Last edited by meridian; 15 October 2019, 11:53.

Comment

Originally posted by jk3838 View Post
                you might be right, I can't find the quote from the speech in the article, in the actual speech transcript

Queen's Speech 2019 - GOV.UK
                The "quote" doesn't exist in the Queen's Speech as delivered, I listened to the broadcast while reading the transcript to make sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick@Intouch View Post
                  The "quote" doesn't exist in the Queen's Speech as delivered, I listened to the broadcast while reading the transcript to make sure!

Wow. I remember seeing the link to the original article and was surprised, but thought those words were coming to win over the labour vote.

i wonder where that "quote" came from though! Whether made up, or heard or seen elsewhere?

Comment

Someone wants to drum up business for their brolly.

Comment

Working...
                    X