Boris to Abolish Contracting Boris to Abolish Contracting
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 25

Still gathering requirements...

Super poster

Can now see why some recent actions have been taken by banks and other big entities.

The Queens Speech says that “The Government is committed to going even further”. They intend implementing the Taylor Review which was published a while back. The Taylor Review said that there should be two types of contractors, Dependent Contractors and Independent Contractors.

Those who would be just extra bodies on IT projects would all be Dependent Contractors and be taxed accordingly. Independent Contractors would be those classified at the moment as Consultants.

A Dependent Contractor works predominantly for one company at a time says Taylor.

So consultants need to have multiple active clients, yet consultancies tend to send their 'consultants' to one client at a time, acting as project bodies that are to be classed as 'dependent contractors'.

Let's see how that plays out in terms of new rules. Too cynical of me to think the big consultancies will have a free pass with the government turning a blind eye to them and only enforcing any such rules on those too small to have 'lobbying' power.

At least we should only have to wait until the next budget on 6th of November to find out more details. Though that date may be at risk if brexit by 31st of October kicks up any further disruption in terms of a general election.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

TykeLike

Quote Originally Posted by jk3838 View Post
    http://www.itcontractor.com/boris-johnson-to-abolish-contracting-profession-in-final-ir35-assault Boris Johnson to Abolish Contracting Profession in Final IR35 Assault
    I'd take anything that site say's with a pinch so salt, I'm not saying it's run by a lunatic conspiracy theorist but then again I'm not not saying it either.

Yes contracting is in trouble, but it's better explained elsewhere
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post

So consultants need to have multiple active clients, yet consultancies tend to send their 'consultants' to one client at a time, acting as project bodies that are to be classed as 'dependent contractors'.
    Not necessarily, I worked for a lot of consultancies in the past, and they have two model of working:
    1- Consulting project: they tender for a project, charge for delivering an end product (total price for delivery) ... the consultancy has total management of running the project makes the judgment of how the project is delivered how its implemented and number of resources required, the client does not get extra charges for the number of consultants, but may get charged for changes in the requirements etc

2- Service provision: here the client engages the consultancy to help out in an internally managed project, so they ask for extra resources that can be an expert or even junior to perform same role as their perm on the same project... the consultancy here charges daily rate, and increases the charge according to number of consultants it provides, and their experiences.

So the number of client doesn't matter, its the type of engagement that is important... in the future the first type of consultancy will be the only way one can contracts !!

Still gathering requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    I'd take anything that site say's with a pinch so salt
    you might be right, I can't find the quote from the speech in the article, in the actual speech transcript

Queen's Speech 2019 - GOV.UK

I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    I'd take anything that site say's with a pinch so salt
    Indeed. At one time web links on CUK to the site wewre replaced with "notausefulsite".

Super poster

Default Boris to Abolish Contracting

Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    For the big players, as “consultancies” they have more than one client but their “consultants” are typically PAYE employees of the consultancy.
    Last edited by meridian; 15th October 2019 at 11:53.

Should post faster

Quote Originally Posted by jk3838 View Post
    you might be right, I can't find the quote from the speech in the article, in the actual speech transcript

Queen's Speech 2019 - GOV.UK
    The "quote" doesn't exist in the Queen's Speech as delivered, I listened to the broadcast while reading the transcript to make sure!

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick@Intouch View Post
    The "quote" doesn't exist in the Queen's Speech as delivered, I listened to the broadcast while reading the transcript to make sure!

Wow. I remember seeing the link to the original article and was surprised, but thought those words were coming to win over the labour vote.

i wonder where that "quote" came from though! Whether made up, or heard or seen elsewhere?

Fingers like lightning

Someone wants to drum up business for their brolly.