• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Contracting since 1993

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT Contracting since 1993

It's comes to an end! I came over to the London, UK in 1993 from NZ on my big OE, intended to travel around Europe for 2 years and work part time, well 26 years later I am married to an EU citizen (not UK), kids.....and it's sadly coming to an end. I must say the most affluent years in the UK for IT contractors were between 1993 -2001. I can remember my 1st job at Banker Trust for £35ph doing mainframe stuff. It was so ridiculous, people were getting paid £500-£800 sometimes a day for not knowing much 1996-2000 or sometimes doing little, economy was thumping strong, the city was exciting and fun, late night parties. Huge Xmas parties I remember once Swiss Bank hosted Hot Chocolate as their Xmas band with thousands of people. Tax benefits were good as a contractor. Then after 09/11 things suddenly dropped very quickly, most weren't employed but then about 2 years after things started picking up again, then dropped in 2009 in the financial crisis and have never recovered since. Sad but true!

With these stupid IR35 laws it's now for me depart, well that's the plan. To my retreat in Majorca that I've had since 2003. in my 50's now I'm going to do some remote consulting, I have a EU passport as well. I have noticed a lot of NZ/Aus/SA have left the UK. Modern world has changed no longer were the days of backpacking around Europe for a laugh and earning money as an part time accountant or a IT Contractor. They have left for the reason of IR35 and economy has weakened they are not stupid they are not coming here to be earning less money in a expensive city and they are not here to work full time. I can't see UK attracting NZ/Aus to come to the UK for what benefit? when they can go to US or Canada for way more money and way more benefits which is happening at a rapid rate, especially coming here..... now a shaky island. And Boris's points system, up yours mate!

I remember all the good times, yep they were amazing. London has changed a lot and I've spent most of my life here but it's time to get out, I can see things getting a lot worse.

And I must say Tony Blair years were the best, the economy was super strong, not saying I like him at all!

Ciao my friends!

Originally posted by canoas View Post
    It's comes to an end! I came over to the London, UK in 1993 from NZ on my big OE, intended to travel around Europe for 2 years and work part time, well 26 years later I am married to an EU citizen (not UK), kids.....and it's sadly coming to an end. I must say the most affluent years in the UK for IT contractors were between 1993 -2001. I can remember my 1st job at Banker Trust for £35ph doing mainframe stuff. It was so ridiculous, people were getting paid £500-£800 sometimes a day for not knowing much 1996-2000 or sometimes doing little, economy was thumping strong, the city was exciting and fun, late night parties. Huge Xmas parties I remember once Swiss Bank hosted Hot Chocolate as their Xmas band with thousands of people. Tax benefits were good as a contractor. Then after 09/11 things suddenly dropped very quickly, most weren't employed but then about 2 years after things started picking up again, then dropped in 2009 in the financial crisis and have never recovered since. Sad but true!

With these stupid IR35 laws it's now for me depart, well that's the plan. To my retreat in Majorca that I've had since 2003. in my 50's now I'm going to do some remote consulting, I have a EU passport as well. I have noticed a lot of NZ/Aus/SA have left the UK. Modern world has changed no longer were the days of backpacking around Europe for a laugh and earning money as an part time accountant or a IT Contractor. They have left for the reason of IR35 and economy has weakened they are not stupid they are not coming here to be earning less money in a expensive city and they are not here to work full time. I can't see UK attracting NZ/Aus to come to the UK for what benefit? when they can go to US or Canada for way more money and way more benefits which is happening at a rapid rate, especially coming here..... now a shaky island. And Boris's points system, up yours mate!

I remember all the good times, yep they were amazing. London has changed a lot and I've spent most of my life here but it's time to get out, I can see things getting a lot worse.

And I must say Tony Blair years were the best, the economy was super strong, not saying I like him at all!

Ciao my friends!
    Tar-ra and don’t let the door hit yer arse on the way out...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I started October 1988. And I bet a few here have got many more years on me.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I started October 1988. And I bet a few here have got many more years on me.
        Oct '87 here, but a lot of what he said rings true.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Oct '87 here, but a lot of what he said rings true.
          What was contracting like 87-93 outta of interest? When I arrived in 93 IT was starting to kick off and there were a lot of jobs around, well in the city of London anyway. in 93 I don't think there were that many IT companies/jobs around Reading etc back then.

Comment

Salaries have risen quicker elsewhere. the US especially. The economy will be fubared if they do here, everyone is so used to paying the same costs for the last 10 years we'll all be saying "how much?!!!!
            "

Comment

What was contracting like 87-93 outta of interest? When I arrived in 93 IT was starting to kick off and there were a lot of jobs around, well in the city of London anyway. in 93 I don't think there were that many IT companies/jobs around Reading etc back then.
              1990-1992 was tough. Back in 1986 £150 a day was common. It was about £220 by 1989. It was then static until 1992. Then it rocketed.

Comment

first contract was 1974
                was great until microprocessors, internet and web developers buggered it up for us.

Comment

Being a mere whippersnapper by not starting out until 2005, all I can say is that recessions seem to be when I get my longest gigs. Currently on my highest rate to date. CBA to work that out in relative terms to when I started out on £150 a day.

Comment

Up until 1989 it was great - I was on about £1000pw doing COBOL then the mainframe market shrank by 80% virtually overnight. Lots of contractors were affected. It was really tough for a year - I did piece work for a mate who owned a company working in "micro-computing" and learnt half a dozen PC packages at the same time (dBase, Paradox, etc). Nearly came a cropper financially. After fourteen months of hand to mouth I managed to blag my way into a brokers at London Bridge programming Clipper(!!!). The market really took off in 91/92 and the rest is history.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                    X