• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Off-site Project Work and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off-site Project Work and IR35

I typically work on-site paid at a daily rate. However, I have the chance of working with a new client, so due to the impending April 2020 changes, I'm thinking of working off-site and with project based pricing. Will this avoid IR35 and PSC changes coming in April 2020?

Where you do the work doesn't mean anything if the client is breathing down your neck day in, day out checking up on you.

Comment

Will the switch from daily rate billing to a per project price help? I would imagine so as most SEO agencies I work with do the same and aren't even aware of IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by quantum77 View Post
        Will the switch from daily rate billing to a per project price help? I would imagine so as most SEO agencies I work with do the same and aren't even aware of IR35.
        Same thing applies.

Where you work and how you invoice / get paid means nothing if the day to day working practises are akin to employment.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Same thing applies.

Where you work and how you invoice / get paid means nothing if the day to day working practises are akin to employment.
          Ah I see. However, if I really am working off site and completing the project with little outside input then this would be ok in the post April 2020 world?

This is how my client works with several other companies and there has never been an IR35 discussion.

Comment

Ah I see. However, if I really am working off site and completing the project with little outside input then this would be ok in the post April 2020 world?

This is how my client works with several other companies and there has never been an IR35 discussion.
            Yes those are real companies not tax dodging disguised employees (HMRC view)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

If you are off-site, it is easier to argue that you aren't under Supervision, Direction, Control.

If you are being paid a fixed amount per project, no matter how long it takes, that is definitely an argument against IR35. Generally employees are not paid in this way and so it is a pointer to self-employment/outside IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                If you are off-site, it is easier to argue that you aren't under Supervision, Direction, Control.
                Possibly but many perms can work offsite nowadays. I don't think it's the flag it might have been back in the day.
                If you are being paid a fixed amount per project, no matter how long it takes, that is definitely an argument against IR35. Generally employees are not paid in this way and so it is a pointer to self-employment/outside IR35.
                Indeed. This is, in fact, one of the only examples given during the public sector change that was deemed outside. It was the lady delivering to the hospital example if anyone remembers it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Possibly but many perms can work offsite nowadays. I don't think it's the flag it might have been back in the day.

Indeed. This is, in fact, one of the only examples given during the public sector change that was deemed outside. It was the lady delivering to the hospital example if anyone remembers it.
                  It was the website example.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I typically work on-site paid at a daily rate. However, I have the chance of working with a new client, so due to the impending April 2020 changes, I'm thinking of working off-site and with project based pricing. Will this avoid IR35 and PSC changes coming in April 2020?
                    Is the client deemed "small" under the new application of IR35? ie. who has to make the determination? If its the client, you need to speak to them, as its their decision, not yours.

Comment

Working...
                    X